Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • challenging a parking ticket
  • karnali
    Free Member

received a PCN, my car was parked on a patch of scrub land at the side of a road that has double yellows on it. I had to cross the double yellows to get onto the scrub land but the car was not on the road when parked. So totally off the road but had crossed the double yellows. When I walked back to it about 100m down the road the double yellows ended for about 1m where the road had been patched , the lines had not been put back on or ended with a single yellow line going back to the curb.

Any chance with the appeal?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is it from the council?

Is that “scrub” land council land?

Is that “scrub” land actually a pavement, right of way or access to property or other land?

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably not much chance but if you feel hard done by you can try an appeal:
    “Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge.”
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-markings

aracer
    Free Member

From the information provided I suspect the ticket is valid. Double yellows apply to the whole of the carriageway, which certainly includes pavements at the side, it depends what the status of the scrub land is. I’m fairly sure the gap in the double yellows due to the road being patched makes no difference.

cp

Penalty Charge Notice

or

Parking Charge Notice?

If the former, you’re probably done for.

If the latter, were there signs up?

plyphon
    Free Member

That’s a fine from the council matey, and a completely different kettle of fish than a parking ticket.

Cougar

I know where you’re going with this. The lines weren’t correctly painted. There’s a previous case on this. Hang on.

Cougar

Further reading.

http://www.appealnow.com/parking-tickets/parking-ticket-lines-signs/

TL;DR is that the double yellows almost certainly aren’t legally enforceable, but you may have to risk going through the courts and potentially losing to get the council to back down.

karnali
    Free Member

Cougar thanks for that and everyone else for your input. the council wins my £35 as I can’t afford the time or effort it will require to go through the appeals procedure. I have parked there for several weeks so its less than paying for parking, I won’ park there again. what really annoys me is work for said council and all the cars that park outside the office I work in (not highways or parking) that park on double yellows half on the pavement all day never get ticketed, the chap that did my car today has had to walk past them all twice to get to my car and back.

hey ho

maccruiskeen

what really annoys me is work for said council and all the cars that park outside the office I work in (not highways or parking) that park on double yellows half on the pavement all day never get ticketed,

So those staff / drivers have applied for and been granted dispensation? When I’m working on film jobs we pay for permission to park on double yellows – so as long as our vehicle is on a list we’ve supplied of permitted users then the warden ignores them – and just as importantly – because we’re paying they enforce the double yellows quite aggressively so that the space we’ve paid for is available.

If they’re not officially registered and allowed to park there then thats corruption though

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can pay to have double yellow lines as your own private parking space?

maccruiskeen

You can pay to have double yellow lines as your own private parking space?

Its location filming so we need control over the street and access for key vehicles – generator trucks, props vans etc. We don’t just park and go shopping 🙂

Usually the council prefer to give us single and double yellows rather than metered parking bays if possible so that we don’t impinge on the availability of parking to others

aracer
    Free Member

It makes you wonder why the double yellows are necessary though if they can just be ignored! I get why you need the aggressive enforcement, but that seems even more unfair in a way when they’re using legislation designed to prevent obstruction and similar issues to ensure nobody else nicks your private parking.

I am impressed by your use of the word “corruption” to refer to things other people do though 😉

maccruiskeen

I am impressed by your use of the word “corruption” to refer to things other people do though

🙂

I’m only saying its corrupt if its on a friends and favours basis and a routine turning of a blind eye rather than official and agreed use.

When we do it its a fair old cost and we can rarely get what we want/need at any cost. In fact on one occasion we’ve built and entire replica of a street 2 miles away from the real one because that was cheaper and easier. So when I’m saying ‘corrupt’ its because unless they’re going through the correct channels those staff are getting a service or really pretty significant value for free.

I’ve been aware of blind-eye turning elsewhere – theres an I use a lot with single yellows pretty much everywhere. Park a car there and you’ll get a ticket, park a commercial vehicle there – and I mean park there often and routinely if you like – and you won’t. Don’t know why that is – its not signed or legislated for – but it happens (and its handy when you know!)

irc

“Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge.”

But it surely depends on the nature of the scub land. For example a narrow strip alongside the road or pavement – a verge. A larger area of un-fenced land – not part of the road and therefore highway parking restrictions don’t apply. After all the restrictions don’t extend forever onto adjacent land.

But as OP says is it worth appealing for £35.

mattsccm
    Free Member

👿 🙄 that anyone can buy an exemption! If its dangerous to park there a film unit or what ever makes things worse. It pisses me off that disabled people can park on yellow lines. If its dangerous or impedes traffic its the same for everyone and someone with a disability is presumably less able to get out of the way in a hurry.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ll find there’s a definition for the extent of the highway – almost certainly on plans held by the council.

maccruiskeen

If its dangerous to park there a film unit or what ever makes things worse.

We do manage the street – we don’t just dump stuff there and wander off. How do you think anything gets done? How do you think building and construction work happens? Or marathons and carnivals and cycle races. It all managed use. The OP is talking about – or inferring at least – the council staff are making unmanaged use of yellows as an unofficial perk.

But for filming – then if you’ve seen a street on the telly (and you will do every night on every channel) then behind that camera is anything up to 60 vehicles of camera, lighting, generators, catering, costume, make up, props and so on. If you’ve got deep enough pockets you can close those streets for weeks!

Like in glasgow here – funnily enough right outside the town hall – you pay your parking tickets just round the corner! 🙂

karnali
    Free Member

no money paid for expemtions to parking, normally an email comes around if the ticket person is in the area, normally with a I’ll be back in 15 minutes times.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘challenging a parking ticket’ is closed to new replies.