• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chainstay tyre rub – carbon frame – pending doom?
  • Spud

Snapped a spoke in the rear wheel on the road bike. Immediately the wheel jammed into the NDS chainstay. Anyway after pulling it out, noticed the frame has been rubbed down the carbon, but can’t see the weave. Now the rub has happened really quickly as it wasn’t there last time I had the wheel out a couple of weeks back.

Anyway, I’m sure I’m not the only one this has happened to on a carbon frame, what was your experience and did you end up replacing the frame?

lightman
    Free Member

It’ll probably be fine unless you can see right through to the other side?
    Pics?

Superficial
    Free Member

I rode a carbon frame for ages with around 2mm taken out of both chainstays from tyre rub.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above it’ll probably be fine – the top bit is usually cosmetic.

Or you’ll maybe die.

If you’re concerned, you could always do a carbon wrap repair to add back a bit of strength.

lightman
    Free Member

I should’ve said, I have just repaired someones chainstay where chain stuck had ripped off all the top layers of carbon to reveal the soft Kevlar fabric underneath.
    They continued to finish the race season and then brought it to me to patch it up, and now it looks like new.
    Chainstay are one of the strongest parts of a bike.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZMZLBkY2WE[/video]

spooky_b329

Why would you try that without bothering to stick a lid on!

Spud

Cheers, I’ve never worked out the pic posting on here. But suffice to say I don’t think it will be an issue as there’s no weave visible. Hopefully sorting new wheel/ rebuild the current ome will be fine,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chainstay tyre rub – carbon frame – pending doom?’ is closed to new replies.