Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainstay protector for Giant Trance
  • hunta

Can anyone recommend a chainstay protector for a trance? Can’t seem to find one that’ll fit snugly (approx 10cm diameter tapering to approx 9cm).

I know about old inner tubes but don’t have any lying around.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

My mate got one from a Giant dealerfor his Anthem X 29er was a much better fit than the standard Lizard skins types

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They usually come with them as standard, but if not, any Giant dealer can order you one in that’ll fit properly.

cakefacesmallblock

Had one supplied with my bike (2008). That wore out, so have been running with a MBUK freebie since about early last year, been perfectly fine despite the taper.
    The Giant-supplied one wasn’t made tapered either if my memory isn’t failing.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve never bothered with ‘official’ chain stay protectors – i use two part hose repair tape like This.

It comes with a rubber tape – which you can use firts if you want some sound deadening. And a great cloth tape which you can either use on its own or over the rubber tape. Its much neater than an old inner tube, cheaper than buying an official one and is great for awkward tube shapes.

continuity
    Free Member

I have to say; it may be a cliche and you did mention it but an old inner tube really does hit the spot. Why not pop by your LBS and apologise for being a jew but ask if they have any old blown inner tubes?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape.

Speeder

Self amalgamating tape

+1

hunta

Like the idea of tape but didn’t know what it was called. Now I do, so thank you. I’ll look into the two-part tape first as I like the idea of enough dampening to kill the noise.

Thanks all.

hunta

Just been to Halfords and picked up some two-part tape. It’s done the job very nicely, though I’m not yet convinced that it won’t start unravelling, catch in my spokes / chain and become my undoing (excuse the pun).

Do I need to finish off with electrical tape, or does the amalgamating tape just weld to itself after a while?

#EDIT# Just read monkeyboy’s post again, and he advocates rubber tape then cloth tape over the top. I’ve gone the other way around per the instructions on the box. Will I die?

HermanShake
    Free Member

If the Halfords stuff goes t*ts up, try road bar tape. Light, neat and cushioned as well as available in any colour you wish (near enough!). Tight wind at one end and zip tie on the other means no nasty electrical tape.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainstay protector for Giant Trance’ is closed to new replies.