Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chainset- so new XTR or old Middleburn RS7 Square taper.
  • Algore
    Free Member

after a nice lightweight chainset for my new build.

Obvious safe choice is the XTR. But have the chance to get my old Midddleburn back at a very cheap price.

Any opinions on performance, stiffness and weight. Will the square taper BB make it heavy compared to modern chainsets. What BB would be best, UN73 don’t seem to exist anymore but sure I could find one kicking around in a local shop.

After a fit and forget solution.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Middleburn will be substantially heavier than XTR.

convert

Heavier possibly but cooler and less “corporate”! Maybe!

SKF bottom brackets are now being imported by Middleburn themselves and they have them in stock. They are importing the ST as well as the Isis that pace used to bring in. My Isis one was £65 last week and looks good.

Algore
    Free Member

Any idea how much heavier using a Un73 standard set up 22, 32, 44.

Also any idea what length I would need for the Middleburns, not the 68 or 73, but the 113, 107, 118 length?

Many thanks,

nicko74

113, I think?

Hadge
    Free Member

Unless your a racer, does the weight issue mean that much when the much much longer life of the old BB’s is that much better? I remember fitting the old UN72 on my bikes and they never ever failed. As for the modern HT2 crap, especially Race Fails they are just rubbish. Yes I use them but it pains me to do so. I know XTR M970 are a lot stiffer, which is why I would choose them, but how much I’d love the new M970 to run on the older UN BB’s!!!!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Given how much XTR chainsets cost these days I’d say that the Middleburn is a no brainer, even before you consider the cool factor.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve never killed an HT B/B in under 18 months, given the replacement cost of decent ST/ISIS b/bs, and the fact the XTR cranks are lighter, more reliable, and will shift better I’d agree it’s a no brainer.

Hadge
    Free Member

njee20, you must be one of the lucky ones – like me with FOX forks, I’ve yet to ever have a problem with any FOX fork. But as for HT2 B/B’s they’ve gone in about a years use. When I ran Race Face cranks, they were diabolical. Yes the frame was faced, yes fitted correctly but just utter crap in use. The chainsets are superb – shame about the B/B’s.
    Middleburn do the HC Slick Shift rings which I’ve ran and so have my mates and we’ve never had any shifting probs in their defence. But – I would go XTR and have on my last few bikes. They are mega stiff and so pedalling is better.

nicko74

er… decent bottom bracket for square taper is… (drum roll please) £15. Middleburn cranks can be had for £120 including spider but excl rings.
    You are right about the weight though – RS7s are quite solid.

Bimbler
    Free Member

RS8’s are the “lightweight” version aren’t they? If it were me I’d go for Middleburn, they’re just so much nicer imo.

njee20
    Free Member

nicko, then they’re really heavy. The SKF ones are getting in the right direction, and they’re far more expensive.

stoney
    Free Member

Middleburn!!!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’m hoping to fit a Middleburn on my forthcoming P7.Nothing against the big S,but I want as much UK made stuff as possible on the Orange.

turneround

middleburn up for sale in the classifieds

snaps
    Free Member

So how much weight difference? I run Middleburns & Hope Ti BBs on two of my bikes & the price was less than half the XTR

Anthony
    Free Member

No rings or chainring bolts, my 175mm 970’s are 632g including the 93g bottom bracket.

No problems with XTR HT2 BB either and easy enough to regrease.

Ambrose

Middleburn, fitted onto Royce BB. Replaceable bearings. Cost me £20 to get the bearings sorted last week. BB is now running as new. Can Shimano do that, I’m not sure.

stoney
    Free Member

Same as Ambrose here. Both bikes running this set up. With the chain off the cranks will spin 15+ full revs with a firm tap on the arm.

snaps
    Free Member

Middleburn RS7’s & 113mm Hope Ti BB 639g without rings & RS8’s are lighter still – not substantially heavier.
    The Hope BB in my full sus is 2002 vintage with over 30k miles on it & I’ve never had to touch it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chainset- so new XTR or old Middleburn RS7 Square taper.’ is closed to new replies.