Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chainset for an Alfine on an On-One Inbred
  • RRD
    Free Member

I’m after some advice with regard to the chainset.

I bought a Carrera Subway with an Alfine hub a while ago and have now purchased an Inbred frame and am now preparing to transfer everything over.

I’m planning on buying a new chainset. Do I just buy a regular MTB Chainset and dispense with the middle and inner chainrings? Does it matter about the chain line – should I be on the middle chainring?

Cheers

slimjim78
    Free Member

youll struggle to get a good chainline on the outer ring, youll need to use the middle, and you wont get much bigger than 32t without getting too close for comfort to the chain stay.

Youll probably need to flip the alfine cog round to achieve better chainline too, something daft like 50mm on Alfine hubs.

Have run two or three set ups this way with zero problems.

RRD
    Free Member

Thank you.

Flip the Alfine Cog round? Sorry you’ve lost me there, what do you mean?

Can I purchase s smaller rear cog for an Alfine set up? Presently there is a 42t chainring and changing to a 32 would be painfully slow.

Cheers

MarkSS
    Free Member

I run a 34T on an inbred in where the middle ring normally is. Close but ok. I’ve seen a 36T in that position (on a whippet) but that looks to be fairly tight against the chain stays.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

I will be doing exactly the same thing shortly. I’ve just ordered the specific Shimano Alfine 39T crankset from Rosebikes for £50.95 inc P&P. I’ll let you know how it fits my 16″ Inbred when I get round to building it up. It’s not the prettiest thing but hopefully I’ll have no issues with chainline or chainring/chainstay interface (crosses fingers :?).

TrentSteel
    Free Member

have a 36t on the middle ring on a SS inbred (LX crankset), 38t may be the max though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chainset for an Alfine on an On-One Inbred’ is closed to new replies.