Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chainset advice
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Race Face Evolve XC cranks that are struggling from chainsuck in the middle ring. They’ve had about 12 months of moderate use.

Thought it was time to change chains but no joy. Chainsuck-tastic.

Previous cranksets have lasted much longer.

Was thinking of going for SLX, however I could put a Middleburn 4-bolter on for much less (funds are tight).

Anyone got good recommendations for replacement chainrings, or should I just go for SLX?

mildred

I personally wouldn’t change a whole chainset based on chain suck on a worn chain ring. The rings are consumable items so I’d stick a new middle ring on (FSA are cheap on CRC), and see how it goes. Unless, of course, you want something new and shiny???

mikertroid
    Free Member

Happy to chop just for a single chainring; I take it 4-bolters are a standard size………?

mildred

Yes, most 4 bolt are 104bcd – my raceface is, so I would imagine yours is too. The fsa chaintings are quite good, but especially good for the money when reduced. Middleburn hardcoat rings do last very well, though they don’t shift that brilliant compared to say shimano (though not terrible, by any means).

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll go for just chainring and cassette with the difference.

You’re using an fsa on a race face?

mildred

Not currently but have in past; it was the only 34t middle ring I could get for a while.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chainset advice’ is closed to new replies.