Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chainsawtrackworld
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I need a new chainsaw. Nothing huge, probably with a bar 350mm or so, to be used only occasionally on fallen trees. Given how hard it is to hire one without the formal qualifications, I’ll need to buy one, probably secndhand and with a budget of £150. Can I expect to get anything decent for that money, or do I need to set aside a little more?

If getting off ebay, is there anything to watch out for? I’m assuming I’ll get to see the thing before buying so can check that it runs ok.

I’m guessing opinion will be fairly evenly divided between Stihl and Husky – but is there a clear winner in the cheapo secondhand chainsaw market?

Cheers!

grum
    Free Member

Dunno but budget for PPE as well as the chainsaw.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Already got that, but a good point! I used an old electric one for years, but 1) it’s rubbish and 2) it’s finally broken so I can justify a new one!

Kuco

I’m sure you can get a new Sthil MS170 for about that.

core

Best value for money in my opinion is Husqvarna, just got one, equivalent output stihl was £50 more, I went for the 135, as I could get the VAT back, but a 236 is a bit cheaper, both same power, both 14″ bar, cheaper one made in usa not Sweden apparently, bit less refined so £20 cheaper.

Drac

Husqvarna are excellent used one for ages when we had access to fallen trees it just kept going no matter what.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Only used Stihl myself but a couple of mates who did foresty work always swore by Stihl over Husqvarna

headfirst
    Free Member

+1 for Stihl

Got mine new back in 2005 for about £150 and its been spot on. Also, Stihl don’t make these:

😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

170’s are about for around that in quids.
    Would anyone buy this sort of thing unseen? 🙄
    Stihl or Husky, go for the the with a local dealer.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a Stihl 170 and a 230.

The 170 is a bit underpowered, esp so when using anything but the micro chain they ship with. Having said that, with the micro chain it revs up freely enough and given it’s weight it’s very nice to use if you are only felling or logging upto 12″. More than that and the micro chain tends to wander a bit. It also had to work hard to get through some elm the other day. But on lighter material like willow and poplar it’s as light as a top handle but less of a threat to the jugular. I use it more than the 230 if the conditions suit it.

Can be got for v good price from places like Countrywide at the moment.

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for the MS-170

We have two at work and they are always been abused, amazed as to what you can manage with them.

Light also if you are working with them all day 😉

Myself, I would avoid eBay or second hand.

Mowgli
    Free Member

170 it is, then! Looks ideal and a load cheaper than the next one up. Quick browse on eBay and they all look decidedly dodgy, with prices approaching what you can get them for new.

Cheers!

timbur
    Free Member

I had a 181 for my first saw.
    Perky and packed a punch for the cash.
    Now got a 023, 025 and a 260.
    The 260 is a beast and it’s great to have more power than you need most of the time. It’s noticeably heavier though.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Head first – damn, if I’d known that I’d have asked for his and hers husqy wedding presents a couple of years back!

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

I’ve got a Husky & an Echo, Echo. Like the Echo more. Wife has a Stihl which she likes as its a tad lighter. I like a bit of weight.

Drac

Stihl don’t make these.

globalti
    Free Member

My 14″ Ryobi cuts down trees and doesn’t break down and I seem to remember it cost about £100. It doesn’t have a very macho brand name though.

griptool
    Free Member

Don’t skimp on size and avoid the smaller diy ones.

Go for an older bigger saw, if it runs sweet and has good compression an old saw will give you years of satisfaction, I know my 15 year old shtil 036 gives me Wood every time I fire it up 😮 has a bigger engine than my first motorbike lol

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Chainsawtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.