• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ski.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chainsaw sawdust- what do you do with yours?
  • Ambrose

As title really, I’m looking for useful things to do with the stuff. I don’t generate huge amounts but it must surely have a use.

I’ve dug it into garden beds when they were being composted last winter. More recently I’ve spread them in the neighbors chicken coop. I’ve also added some to the compost heap, but not much.

How do you get rid of yours?

Drac

Burn it.

sweepy
    Free Member

Cat litter

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The rain gets it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Barbecue flavouring.

globalti
    Free Member

Smoke it, dude!

geoffj

Burn it or landfill. If your saw is pumping oil properly it will probably be lightly coated in chain oil – ok if you use a vegetable oil, less so if it’s mineral oil based.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve taken a big bag to the tip when I had far too much to deal with, but more recently small amounts just go on the garden and/or in the compost.

CountZero

Mix with paraffin wax and mould into pucks for firelighters or for burning in camping stoves.

timber

Filling in ruts with the stuff from the firewood processor, about 10 builders bag so far after stuff that staff have had for mulching.

Farm next door will have some too when ear tagging/clipping, but prefer sawdust from the mill.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

As a Canadian, we just leave it in the forest.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We sometimes mix it with compost but mostly it gets left as a weed suppressant in the cobbled yard, when it gets too much we dump it in the woods and grow Deronicum over it. It’s surprising how much wood is wasted in the cutting process with a chainsaw. I can easily fill a trailer load of sawdust with a season’s cutting. Wherever possible now, I cut stuff into rings in the forest.

b1galus
    Free Member

build a composting toilet and and use the sawdust to cover it

ski
    Free Member

I use mine to store my wood turning projects 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw sawdust- what do you do with yours?’ is closed to new replies.