Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • chainsaw PPE
  • ed34
    Free Member

As i’ve now got a woodburner installed again and will once more be chopping wood i’ve decided to get some proper PPE this time.

So… anyone reccommend any decent online shops for chainsaw protective clothing, and a list of kit i should get?

I’m guessing helmet+visor, gloves, trousers (are the ‘chaps’ style ones ok?), boots. What about gaiters, are they necessary if i have chainsaw boots?

I’m only going to be chopping logs on a sawhorse.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

I have an oregon integrated ear defenders, lid and mesh visor.
    about £20

I wear a boiler suit with the legs on the outside of CE rated rigger boots (steel toe caps, tough leather uppers. Steel sole plate). and leather gloves.

I dont wear sawing trousers or chaps because I really do only work on the horse and not on the ground, or lumberjacking, or up in a tree.

Some would disagree and say I should wear chaps/troos, but I reckon saw handling skills (I was trained on the farm) are more important.

supertramp
    Free Member

I’m with stoner on this, but i wouldn’t advise anyone against safety kit you have to make up your won mind.

Odd but true, garments for chainsaw protection are filled with nylon wadding it chokes the blade and stalls the motor in a split second, so a modified sleeping bag might help?

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I’m a forester by trade. I pretty much agree with stoner. But if you want to do it properly you need chainsaw boots, trousers or chaps, chainsaw gloves, ear defenders and a visor. I use ATS nr horsham for equipment. Buttons was a good Internet company.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I think your’l find it’s balistic nylon and Kevlar.

supertramp
    Free Member

I think your’l find it’s balistic nylon and Kevlar.

like i said, nylon wadding 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

*points shotgun at sleeping bag*

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’d say wear trousers, chainsaws don’t take prisoners.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Buttons was suppose to read buxtons!

TooTall
    Free Member

All the clothing in the world isn’t that much use if you’ve not been properly trained in the first place. All the gear and no idea?

kilo

I use ear defenders, decent gloves and visor for most of the chainsaw work i do (which at the moment is 98% sawing logs), I use one of the portek log masters for sawing logs with that the saws not realy going anywhere if it’s in correctly – money well spent imho

richmars

Ear defenders, gloves, visor, helmet, boots and trousers. Just not worth not wearing it.

geoffj

TooTall – Member
    All the clothing in the world isn’t that much use if you’ve not been properly trained in the first place. All the gear and no idea?
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Partly true, but it’s not exactly rocket surgery either. Plenty of resources around to show you how to work safely, without having to do cs30/31

timber

Helmet is the first bit of kit I grab for the visor and ear defenders to keep my vision and stop the ears ringing. Get something from a decent company and you’ll be able to get spares.
    I wear trousers due to the amount of time I spend cutting and the nature of our sites, probably also wise if you’re an amateur user, on a saw horse the follow through is to your leg. Front protection, 20m/s will be sufficient.
    Personally, chainsaw gloves aren’t for me. Poor fitting, bulky and hot with pointless protection (low speed, single knuckle set, saw protection) so I just use comfy work gloves.

And a set of files and sharpening know how, blunt saws are ****. Far safer sharp and tensioned right.

May as well get to know your local ‘saw shop, you’ll be needing more parts and advice in time.

As for use a duvet. Nearly pissed myself with laughter.

totalshell

when i were a lad me dad were a tree fella. he had an off white string vest a flat cap a pair of simon cowell tousers held up by string and wore clogs wi irons they felled 40 trees a day and drank cold tea from pop bottles
    no one got hurt
    ( i think the vests were from woolies)

user-removed
    Free Member

Well my Dad were a nookleer technician, cleaning out reactors, and him and his mates did the job wearing nowt but a whippet skin and a hat made out of pigeon feathers.

That aside, Stoner’s hat looks exactly right – it’s what my stepdad gave me after a crash course in how not to sink the blade into the tarmac whilst chopping up several tons of forestry comission logs off a saw-horse. 10 mins later, I boggered the blade by sinking it into the tarmac.

But. During the nine minutes of successful chopping, I felt a good few chunks of wood bouncing off the visor….

TooTall
    Free Member

Partly true, but it’s not exactly rocket surgery either. Plenty of resources around to show you how to work safely, without having to do cs30/31

The fact that you know cs30/31 exist puts you streets ahead of joe public in knowledge terms. Too many people think that ‘plenty of resources’ means ‘watching Youtube’. Proper, certified instruction is the minimum I look for in a mountain bike guide/instructor – why not in a chainsaw user?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Get basic qualifications and get proper equipment. Always cut with trousers on, it takes a moment of distraction or a hidden nail in a tree to cause kick back and then you’ll be having a real bad day.

me and a small tree.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘chainsaw PPE’ is closed to new replies.