Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainsaw advice
  • rocketman
    Free Member

There are some conifers at the end of the garden that need taming. They are about 4m high and 5m wide, 1.5m deep.

Basically I want to take 1.5-2m off the top with the minimum amount of effort

Any advice welcome

nickf
    Free Member

If you can get a power source there and you really don’t think you’ll be doing too much chainsawing in the future, B&Q do a decent electric one for £50. I’ve cut logs about 40cm in diameter with no bother.

Don’t forget safety gear, mind you.

Stoner
    Free Member

Up you go.

rocketman
    Free Member

£50 you say for an electric chainsaw? Tempting.

Thanks!

Shorty121
    Free Member

When you’re up in the tree just make sure you have secure footing. Where are you located?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

handsaw should be able to take the tops off – chainsaws especially when working at heights are dangerous toys – as well as the saw yo need the protective kit

z1ppy

Just bear in mind that where you top the conifer, it will regrow in a pair of branches reaching for the sky.. double the trouble later if ignored to long.

A decent handsaw like a Silky Gomtaro will make short work of them, as conifers aren’t ard!
    http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathed/gomtaro.html

(thats my old saw, the Gomtaro is much better)

organic355
    Free Member

+1000 for a SILKY, Ive got 2 now, a Gomtaro 270 and a BIG BOY!!!

ski
    Free Member

If they are 4m high & you want to take 2m off then a handsaw and tiptoes is all you need.

Also worth checking out the Bahco 396 Lap Laplander, which are a little cheaper than the Gomtaro.

Rocketman, where are you based?

If its local to me, I will do it for the wood, you will have to burn the brash mind 😉

Radioman

As said for a small hedge by hand works well as they are quite soft…I have a tall leylandi connifer hedge in my garden…The back hedge is about 5m high and acts as a screen. I have just had to climb up and do the pruning last week. I cut the top of it with a Stihl HT 75 pole chainsaw attachment… the great thing about this tool is that it takes a hedge cutter swell as a chainsaw so is a great all round garden tool. The hedge is very deep swell as high so the pole attachment is superb. I think you can also buy a strimmer attachment for it. The new model it HT 100 I believe. I find myself using the pole chainsaw more than the regular one. Downside is the cost about 650!!! not inc both attachments!! I have regularly cut the connifers over the last few years so its now a good dense hedge. Biggest hassle with my pruning is clearing up the waste.

sweepy
    Free Member

Im generally regarded as having a cavalier attitude to chainsaw safety, but I’d advise against cutting anything over chest high with both feet on the ground.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw advice’ is closed to new replies.