Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chains (pin to pin length rather than width)
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

I am just in the process of doing up a bike and making it single speed, an old tourer for commuting – not mtb. I bought a singlespeed freewheel (18t) from Condor Cycles – the cheap one for a tenner. Having put it on the chain just doesn't seem to fit on the cog. I have tried the original chain (it was the original off an old 80's 10 speed Falcon). I have also tried a SRAM one I had kicking around but that is the same. It's as if the spacing between the pins on the chain is too long – it can't have stretched that much and the SRAM one was new so had no stretch? I have checked Sheldon Brown but he doesn't mention different chain types (pin to pin length rather than width). Are there different sizes or am I being being dim, or both? Ta.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pics?

Seems odd that a new chain does not fit. Inconceivable (unless it is the width)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think there was once some track kit with 10mm pitch but I doubt you've come across any of that. Otherwise, it's all half inch (unless it's very very worn)

whippersnapper
    Free Member

width is fine. I'll try and get pics now.

Pitch, that's the word I was looking for. I'll measure.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

ok, I'm being dim. Width of the inner links is the problem. Back to the shops…

cynic-al
    Free Member

YES!!!!!!!!!

*punches air*

whippersnapper
    Free Member

pint of ale to the man with his fist in the air

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chains (pin to pin length rather than width)’ is closed to new replies.