• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chain's knackered – do I really need new cassette, chain rings etc?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello singletrack massif,

My chain’s buggered. I’ve already got a magic link on there from a chain snap when I warped a chain link after a bit of chain suck, and then yesterday another link snapped (a few links from the previous problem). After removing the newly warped link, I couldn’t put a second magic link on as it appeared the ‘interior’ bit of the next link was also a tiny bit out of shape.

Basically, I’m off to Afan soon and want a chain I can have confidence in – this one seems a bit buggered.

But will I then necessarily need the whole shebang of new cassette, and new chainrings?

Your advice is appreciated before I wheel ‘er into the LBS.

(Bike is Orange Blood, set up is Saint rear derailleur and an XT front mech).

Thank you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s worn, yes.

If it’s not then you are daft to replace it IMO.

ratherbeintobago

Have you got a means of measuring the chain to see how worn it is? IIRC if it’s <0.5% ‘stretched’ you should be OK with a new chain, if it’s >0.5% then you’ll probably be OK (though I found I get horrific chainsuck if I don’t change the inner at the same time) and if it’s >0.75% then the whole lot is goosed.

Andy

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If you are getting suck, it’s probably all borked.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

bung a new chain on it, then give it “plenty” in all the gears in a controlled environment to see if it jumps across worn sprockets. If it does, retrieve your man plums from the stem and go and buy a new cassette and (at least) middle chainring

ratherbeintobago

middle chainring

Middle? It’s usually the inner that’s worn out and the cause, is it not?

Andy

Good article on chainsuck here

geologist
    Free Member

No, never replaced them all at the same time in 25 year riding career.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have never worn a granny out in 20 years of riding, but if any ring is worn it will “grab” the chain suck it up, and in the case of inner and middle rings, jam it between the frame and chainrings.

Start with a new chain if the current chain is borked, then look at the cassette if it is slipping, a new chain will be fine on an older cassette as long as the cassette isn’t too worn. If your still have issues look at the chainrings, and change the ones you use most.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

depends which you use the most…..

muddyground
    Free Member

As above – pop a new chain on to it, then give it some beans and see if it skips a bit. But really, if you’re getting a fret on now, then why not just put a salve onto it and buy a cheapo cassette as well?

The last bit intrigues me, hence why I’m replying; wheel her into the LBS. Why? You can put a link in already, so you can change the chain. The cassette isn’t any harder to change….. DiY? Doing it yourself means that you get to know the beast and can take a bit of time cleaning it all up properly. Most likely the bike shop wouldn’t strip and clean the whole transmission, which is what sounds like is needed most 😉

mcinnes
    Free Member

Thanks mrmo – this is the route I’m taking, cheers.

Muddy – generally I agree, but I have to decide when the trade off between learning and screwing things up costs more than taking to shop. It’s a fine line as I’m pretty klutzy 🙂

muddyground
    Free Member

mcinnes – nah; honestly if you’ve already put a link in, then the chain is a doddle. The cassette is easy too – just get a whip and a Shimano tool from Halfords. I’m a ham fisted bugger as well – once in an idle moment I put some forks on upside down and wondered why they wouldn’t work. If I can change a cassette and get it all to work afterwards…. There isn’t too much to screw up. Er…..

grtdkad

Apologies for the hijack but similar issues here. … Transmission generally fine (3×9) but I get a regular skippage when I’m riding in middle ring and middle on cassette. Is this a sign that the cassette is goosed?

ratherbeintobago

Can be, but can also be a sign of indexing issues and/or mucky cables.

Andy

MrSalmon
    Free Member

As above, get a new chain and go for a spin- you’ll know very quickly whether you’re going to need to replace anything else.

br
    Free Member

And while you are at it, buy a Park chain measuring tool. Once the chain hits .75, replace it. Otherwise it will take the cassette with it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chain's knackered – do I really need new cassette, chain rings etc?’ is closed to new replies.