Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • chains, are expensive ones worth it or just for the rich /weight obsessed?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

are they actually STRONGER? went out in the wet and sandy wood near me on sat after torential downpours on friday and within 30 mins i could hear the grinding, scraping sounds from the chain.dont think it will last long if i continue to put it through that.
    Also its sram factory fit, how can i identify what fitted? numbers in it?

nickc

Most chains get lighter the more you pay for them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Expensive chains are a bit of a luxury. I very much doubt they last any longer than a cheap SRAM/Shimano, which is all I ever buy, and I can't think of a worse place to save weight, myself.

jim
    Free Member

More expensive chains are usually plated with nickel or similar which keeps them shiny for longer. Can't say I've noticed that they last any longer though.

nickc

and I can't think of a worse place to save weight, myself

I don't think there are many cycling products that get heavier the higher up the price bracket you go. Personally, I tend to buy SRAM 951 for no real reason I can think off. Had one of those chains with cut outs in the link plates once, which appeared to have the sole function of filling up with mud and cack and so negating any weight saving…Hey ho

Junkyard
    Free Member

apparently the SRAM one pins and other bits that matter (those round bits that hit the teeth anyone know there name?)are all identical only the wieight and side plates differ to make shifting easier or loose some weight. I dont think SRAM ones will last any longer given this…not sure about other chains though.

sq225917
    Free Member

kcm sl9 or 10. long lasting none snapping.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

SRAM hollow pin / cut out plates – snapped twice in different places on its 3rd or 4th ride. Utter rubbish.

stumpyjon

Yep, I had a SRAM 991 hollow pin for a while, rusted as easily as any other, snapped early on and still wore out pretty quickly. Never again. Using standard 991s now (got 3 for £49 from CRC some time ago). Can see me going to 971s when I need more after all the recent price hikes.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup pack of 3 951 and 971 which ever comes in relatively cheap – change every 6 months or less depending on stretch – keep clean and lubed to stop rust – works for me.

Kramer
    Free Member

Do not need, but in a perverse sort of way, want!

Serious waste of money, but ultra bling, and only for the cognescenti. 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘chains, are expensive ones worth it or just for the rich /weight obsessed?’ is closed to new replies.