Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chainring Bolts. Alloy or Steel?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I thought I would try this 1×10 malarkey so ordered a single ring. I now need some chainring bolts as the ones off my triple ring are too long and not threaded enough to cut down.
    I have had alloy in a race face triple before but i snapped a couple in use (not when tightening) so changed them for steel and had no problems.

Presumably the race face ones weren’t the worst quality available so is it common with alloy ones or was I unlucky. I would just stick with steel but some red alloy ones would look good.

Thanks

Andy

njee20
    Free Member

I use alloy. Have broken a couple with my immense power, every chance because they came loose, still use them.

simon1975

Use either, but with threadlock

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm, I wouldn’t. Used some SRP(?) alloy ones in the ’90s and they all broke in use. Given you’ve got a single ring setup, I’d avoid.

Northwind

I’ve got KCNC alu ones in my 1x bikes, just because that’s what I happen to have in the right size. No bother with any of them. Suspect they have plenty of shear strength when done up right but are more likely to strip or snap from overtightening.

will
    Free Member

Steel. I have snapped 3/4 alloy ones.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I think ill stick with steel.
    Only problem is I would like some today or tomorrow at the latest but nowhere near me has any in stock.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Alloy, because they’re anodised in pimpy colours.

jsinglet

If you need them quickly, and there is a Brompton dealer near you, then just get the bolts for a Brompton. They work fine for a single ring setup.

Joe

Alu ones always creak and are a pain.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just rang a not so local bike shop who checked and said they had some stock but after driving there hadn’t actually got any. Why cant people physically check if they have things before they say yes? I always used to when i worked in a shop.

swingbing
    Free Member

All the alloy bolts I’ve tried should really have been clearly labelled “Single use”. That said I’m such a tart I still stick with them. Threadlock is your friend.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chainring Bolts. Alloy or Steel?’ is closed to new replies.