Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chainring advice please
  • burglarboycie
    Free Member

Hi all
    So I’m building an On One 456 (steel frame) and am planning on running it with XT 1×10. Was thinking along the lines of an 11-36 cassette but can’t decide on chainring size. My local trails are pretty flat and flowing with only a few climbs (although one is pretty steep and technical but only short) the thing is, I don’t drive so always ride to the trails so don’t want to end up spinning out en route. Will a 36t be the best bet?
    Thanks
    James

darrenspink
    Free Member

Depends on how fit you are James.
    Im on a 32 with a hope 40t rex and I climb up some big hills. Spin out now and again but nothing to bad.

Really the only way to find out is to try. Get a cheap narrow wide like an on-one ringmaster and try a 36, sell it on here if you don’t like it.

woodster

I think you’re best off going with a 34 and accepting that you’ll spin out on the road, but it’s not a big deal and that’s not what the bike is built for. I had a 36 for a while and having a 1:1 lowest gear was pretty hard going at times.

shedfull
    Free Member

Click here.

The upper window shows a 26″ x 2.1 wheel bike with the normal 22/32/44 triple and 11-34 cassette. Each cog is shown against each ring on the triple crankset. For a given cadence (90rpm) each gear is shown with its mph figure below.

In the lower window, I’ve set up the same 26″ wheel with 1 x 10 using an 11-36t cassette and a 32t chainring. You can see that the 36t (easiest) ring on the cassette will give you just over 6mph at 90rpm. Compare that to the tripe setup in the upper window and you see you’re losing the three lowest gears on the granny ring (22-26, 22-30 and 22-34). You’re also going to spin out earlier (21mph) on the 1×10 setup as you lose two whole gears (44-13 and 44-11) on the triple.

You can click on each window and chainge the settings for that window below. The trick is to drag the single chainring left and right until you achieve a balance between losing lower gears that get you up the hills and losing upper ratios that leave you spinning out earlier.

Cheers,

Ian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chainring advice please’ is closed to new replies.