Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chainring Advice Needed.
  • Thomohawk
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m currently running a 22/32 plus bash (replaced the original 44 outer with the bash) on my 09 Five and looking to increase the middle ring size.

First question is, what size to go for – 34 or 36…? Will i notice much of a difference going to a 34? (really just want a little extra for fire roady type stuff), or since I’m making the change anyway, would I be aswell going to a 36 and maybe using the granny a bit more?

Seccond question is, are there likely to be any frame clearance issues? I’m sure I read something about that on here a while back (search isn’t throwing anything up).

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated. TBC, if you’re reading…. get researching, cause I’ll be harrassing you wi these questions when I’m in on Sat! 😆

Cheers in advance guys!

Thomo.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

When I went to double and bash I got a larger granny as well as middle. Was worried about gear changes at the front and front mech capability. no i know i’d go for a bigger gap between the rings. currently running 26/36 and am able to get up any hill that I’d want to ride up.
    I’d say definitely go to 36. worked on my on-one inbred (just) and my current giant trance is easily happy. of course i have no idea about the 5 but as I’m eyeing them up for the future i’m very interested to hear what the results are.

chriswilk
    Free Member

just go for a 36, but make sure the bash is big enough to cover it properly.

General belief that up to 16 teeth difference between rings is ok, but not more. I run 22/36 with no problem shifting.

Muzzy
    Free Member

Got 22/36 + bash on a 2010 Five. No problems with frame clearance.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Cheers for the posts guys. Sounds like a 36 is the way to go… Any idea if I’m likely gonna need to adjust my front mech to accommodate it?

Good point about the bash size Chris, currently using an E-13 32t, so reckon I’ll have to upsize that too.

Cheers again.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Guys,

Thought you might be interested to hear that I decided to give Orange a call to double check on the frame clearance issues with increasing the middle ring – the’re advice is that the middle ring should remain fixed at 32t, both on an 09 and 10 frame, any bigger and you run the risk of it fouling the swing arm.

I explained that I know of people that have done it with no issues, but he reckons it must be exteremly tight….

Muzzy, don’t suppose you’d fancy posting up a few pics would you? Really want to be 100% confident this is gonna work before I start tampering.

Hope that’s cool.

Cheers,

Thomo.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmm? Dunno about the Orange 5 but I run a Heckler with 26/36 combo and it’s great!

Muzzy
    Free Member

This shows that there’s clearance between the chain & swingarm when its on the 36t ring. It gets very close when shifting onto the ring – hadn’t noticed this until scrutinising it tonight with the bike upside down. Still, there are no marks on the swingarm & I’ve had no problems. You might want to go for a 34t ring to be on the safe side though.

Muzzy
    Free Member

Link to the photo as attaching it doesn’t seem to work:

36t clearance

nickc

really just want a little extra for fire roady type stuff)

big ring?

[runs for cover…/]

Northwind

Hmm, strange that from what’s supposed to be a big all mountain frame. 22/36 is pretty much becoming the default after all, 22/32 is just that little bit lower but low enough as to be irritating, 36 is just about high enough most of the time and makes for a great all-round gear range.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Cheers for that Muzzy… much appreciated mate.

Hmmm… that’s a bummer, 36 sounds like what I need but might have to compromise with a 34.

Cheers for all the responses… even yours Nick 😉

Thomo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chainring Advice Needed.’ is closed to new replies.