• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lcfr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chainguide or not?
  • bighairydel

Recently converted to a 1×10 setup and having seen others with similar setups, some with guides and some without.

I’m running a XT clutch mech and a NW 32t front ring.

Anyone find its not needed or is it a must?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

NW & a clutch, I wouldn’t bother. We’ve got several enduro racers running that very set up & didn’t drop a chain all last season.

jam-bo

if your chainlength is right, no need for a guide.

if you do lose it, takes 10s to put back on rather than ten minutes taking your guide apart to unjam it.

legend
    Free Member

Top guide only for me, just makes sense imo due to the minimal weight and zero drag.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I would get a top guide, dropped the chain in an enduro yesterday, running 1×10 with NW chainring.

bighairydel

Cool – with regards chain length, I take it that as short as possible is best?

jam-bo

don’t forget to take into account chain growth.

hatter

Calvin Jones says use a chainguide.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Is a bash guard worthwhile, just a taco to give a bit of chainring protection?

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you never drop a chain, it’s because you suck.

I don’t know whether this is right, I just like it because it is so uncivil.

🙂

bighairydel

@BigDummy – love it! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you racing?

If not, give it a go without and see if the chain falls off.

bighairydel

Nah not racing, yeah that’s what I’m planning.

BrickMan

Recently gone 1×10 + NW + zee med cage clutch, taken the bash off for now (because show off the bling ring!?) not dropped a chain once in the last few weeks and I love braking bumps/washboards.

Chain growth is likely the issue with certain frame geometries, if you already have a problem with it then you likely already have a proper top & bottom chainguide already.

lcfr
    Free Member

Not dropped a chain in six months running NW 10 speed zee cluth mech with hope t-rex .Riding trails, jumps, drops, roots etc.
    Ditch the guide unless you are racing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chainguide or not?’ is closed to new replies.