Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Chain tug for Shimano Alfine 8
  • shermer75
    Free Member

All this posting about hub gears has reminded me- does anybody know of chain tug that will work with an Alfine hub? My wheel keeps creeping forward and it’s driving me crazy!!

scruff
    Free Member

Mine does the same.

ontor
    Free Member

Surly?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep!! Surly Troll. How did you know?!

STATO
    Free Member

I think he was probably recommending the surly one?

Anyway, i dont think there are any on the market that met you use the anti-turn washer with the tug, there was a post on MTBR that showed a simple modification of an on-one tug that looked the best solution…

HERE

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks STATO- some good ideas there. Has anybody tried one of these?

shermer75
    Free Member

Ok. Just bought these. Will see how it goes…

drofluf
    Free Member

STATO – Member
    I think he was probably recommending the surly one?

Anyway, i dont think there are any on the market that met you use the anti-turn washer with the tug, there was a post on MTBR that showed a simple modification of an on-one tug that looked the best solution…

HERE

Thanks!

Just spent 30 minutes with a file and chaintug and now have one that fits my Alfine 😀

nuke

Ok. Just bought these. Will see how it goes…

That’s the one I used on my Alfined C456. It worked out of the packet but I really went to work on it with a file to maximise the amount of distance it could travel along the horizontal dropout

ontor
    Free Member

I thought you could use the surly chain tug and connect the two holes…

commander
    Free Member

What you need is an MKS tug from Velosolo, the plate that goes around the axle is thin enough that it goes on the inside of the dropout between it and the Alfine – I’ve one on both my Alfined bikes and never hada slip…

work computer limiting what i can do for links so paste this into your browser

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/mkstug.html

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi commander, yes I saw that. Velosolo have stopped doing the 8mm ones, but you can get them on eBay. I was actually hoping to do the same but with the Gusset chain tug and a third of the price. Hopefully it’ll work!

drofluf
    Free Member

Just spent 30 minutes with a file and chaintug and now have one that fits my Alfine

Just tested it! Worked a treat!

STATO
    Free Member

Just tested it! Worked a treat!

Cant beat a good bodge! get a pic up if you can.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hey nuke, what did you file off exactly?

nuke

Its tricky to explain…I would do a pic but I’m now using it on Dahon folding bike with a 3 speed Sturney Archer.

Basically I put it on the frame without wheel and slide it right forward; the raised part that sits in the dropout would hit the curve of the inside of the dropout so I filed the raised part so it matched the curve. The rectangular ‘washer’ that sits on the back of the dropout: filed the corner edges so the round part of the tug itself wouldn’t foul on the rectangular washer when the wheel was furthest out.

I also widened the hole were the screw goes through on the rectangular washer so the hole extended to touching the side as I found the screw sits off centre to the dropout and this allowed the screw to sit straighter. You can see in this pick of DMR ones that the rectangular washer is designed to have the screw off centre…

Trial and error though really….good luck 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one thanks nuke! All really good info there

STATO
    Free Member

Nuke – do you uste those WITH the anti-turn washers? if so how? does the anti-turn sit over the edge and still engage with the frame?

shermer75
    Free Member

Ok, it took a bit of filing a la nuke bit they fit perfectly now. Very happy!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Chain tug for Shimano Alfine 8’ is closed to new replies.