Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain suck, arrrgggghhhh!
  • cardiff
    Free Member

Is there anything I can do to try to elevate chain suck? Seem to only get it in my granny gear, but it’s so irritating! Not sure why I seem to get it so bad! Could it be the spacers on my bb meaning the granny ring isn’t aligned correctly? I changed my whole chain set as it was worn and still got it for some reason!

If anyone can suggest anything to try it would be much appreciated!

ratherbeintobago

Lots of stuff about chainsuck here.

Don’t think there’s a panacea, sadly; steel granny (weight saving minimal of alloy one minimal) might help; keeping drivetrain clean & lubed also useful, as does making huge efforts to avoid shifting the front under load.

Andy

svalgis
    Free Member

Jump Stop, perhaps?
    http://n-gear.com/whatis.html

spooky_b329

Did you change the chain?

martinxyz
    Free Member

It can often happen when we put wear into a drive and without ever really using the granny from new,it’s only when we drop down into a fresh granny we find that the worn chain doesn’t want to play ball with it.

Folk will get confused with this and go replacing a ring that seems to be the problem when it’s actually as good as new.

Take a good look at everything and see if you can make any sense of the wear in all the parts.

shortcut

I would suggest you need to make sure everything is clean and freshly lubed.

If you only changed the chainset you should have done the cassette and chain at the same time. If you did and everything is brand spanking it can be because of too much packing grease on the chain stopping it disengaging from the small ring effectively.

Also check for burrs on the inner ring and remove if you find any.

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers for the adivce, I assume it is chain suck I’m getting, its not happening when shifting but just when I put a lot of pressure through the pedals going up hill.

Like to think I keep the drive train nice and clean and lubricated.

Yeah did change the chain at the same time so was all new!

joolsburger
    Free Member

It all wears together so you’re best off replacing rings chain and cassette. If you’ve only done rings and chain then you’ll want to put on a new cassette. You say you assume it’s chain suck, chain suck is when the chain doesn’t come off the bottom of the granny ring and sort of loops up round it instead, stops you dead. You could well just have a bit of slip easily cured with a new cassette. Lube typically wont fix chainsuck but a new granny often does. Finally get a spare chain and swap every couple of hundred miles that helps things last.

spooky_b329

Yep, if its chain suck the cranks will lock and you have to backpedal to free the chain.

If its skipping, you need to replace the rear cassette.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck, arrrgggghhhh!’ is closed to new replies.