Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain suck. Any magic fixes?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Had horrendous chain suck all the way around Cannock today, didn’t quite ruin the ride, but spoilt it a fair bit. Is there anything that I can do to minimise this? The chain is in ok condition and was well lubed, but it just keeps sucking up and jamming when I’m in granny gears.

I’m told that the clutch mechs can help with this, is that true or just marketing rubbish?

soobalias
    Free Member

are the chainrings worn?
    what lube is on the chain?
    what frame is it?

p7rich
    Free Member

Is your chain too long? Happened to me before and shortening fixed it. Fact it’s happening on the smaller ring suggests it could be your problem?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was the bike clean?
    Chainring wear – flip the granny ring or rotate, how OKish is the chain – properly checked?
    Chainsuck is normally where the chain wont release from the ring due to being hooked. A clutch mech will help to tension the chain but I wouldn’t see how it will solve the issue.

takisawa2

Time to micro-inspect…
    Get someone to feather the back brake while you pedal slowly against it, & watch the chain as it’s coming off the ring. Stiff link, burred teeth, bent teeth, etc.

yorlin
    Free Member

Ride along the flat?

coatesy
    Free Member

Quite often caused by burrs on the teeth as well as hooking, this can be reduced by taking them off with a small round file.

z1ppy

Coatesy +1, & I’m of the option a clutch mech will help avoid it for longer

ndthornton
    Free Member

alfine

jekkyl

replace the granny ring is what I would do first, you will have to do it at sometime anyway and they cost less than a tenner and maybe take about 10-15 mins to replace.

kilo

I asked about this a couple of weeks ago and was advised new chainring, did this and had no problems whatsoever at a muddy brass monkeys at the weekend as mentioned it was a cheap fix

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I asked about this a couple of weeks ago and was advised new chainring, did this and had no problems whatsoever at a muddy brass monkeys at the weekend as mentioned it was a cheap fix

there is also no magic in drivetrains 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

I get bad chainsuck on my C456 as soon as the chainrings wear even slightly, new chainrings fix it. Also new chain on worn chainrings is the worst combo for chain suck

waveydavey
    Free Member

Singlespeed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck. Any magic fixes?’ is closed to new replies.