Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain Suck
  • Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a new hardtail and are suffering from a bad case of chain suck. I have a new XT chainset, chain and XTR shadow rear mech fitted and everything is installed as it should be but nothing I’ve done seems to have helped. I’ve not yet really rode the bike properly yet and have already gouged lumps out of the aluminium chain stay.

The frame has chain control device bolt bosses on the underside of the bottom bracket shell, so is there anything I can get to save the frame or is there anything anyone can suggest to cure this problem. Not really sure what to do next!

andyl
    Free Member

best thing to do is fix the problem.

Checked for stiff link? Chain the correct length? jockey wheels etc all nice and free, derailleurs all aligned correct?

You should also check the chain now for any bent links.

For protection you can buy the ACS chain catcher thing (Wiggle normally have stock) or go with cable ties round the chainstay for now. I am just experimenting with my own design chainsuck preventer for those inneitable rides where mud etc can cause problems.

float
    Free Member

its definitely a faulty frame, get it sent back on warranty [/sarcasm]

dufresneorama
    Free Member

coatesy
    Free Member

Check your chainrings for burrs(or anything else that may hold the chain to it’s teeth), even brand new rings can suffer chainsuck, often get it setting up brand new RaceFace stuff.

wwaswas

the ACS chain catcher thing

If it’s this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-dirt-acs-chain-device/ then be careful they seem to be constructed of low grade cheese – have a search on here for threads.

try giving the chain a degrease (I know Sheldon says don’t) – they can be quite sticky and stiff with the factory grease on them – a lighter oil may help.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Edit… Already been said

toys19
    Free Member

Chainline, is it too close the to the chainstays? Move a bb spacer from the none drive side to the drive side.

alexpalacefan

Don’t but the ACS thing, from personal experience they’re made of some magic material that’s considerably softer than cheese!

+1 for de-grease the chain, the factory stuff is way too thick.

APF

chugg08

I had the same problem a few years ago. Replaced the rear mech, the chainrings and the chain.

Turned out to be a slightly bent rear hanger – quick realignment sorted it (and a shiny new drivetrain).

anagallis_arvensis

If its all new stuff, its either not fitted right or has a fault. Were all the parts brand new unused? Does it hapen on gear changes or when riding along?

mcboo
    Free Member

pop into your LBS…..problem solved.

shortcut

Occasionally a chain can be too heavily greased up when it comes out the box. Try cleaning and lubing it. Yes, I know it’s new but do it anyway and double check for burrs on the rings, make sure the clutch on the xtr rear mech is engaged (top position), and double check hear adjustment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain Suck’ is closed to new replies.