Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • chain stay protection
  • cp

What are folk using these days? I’ve always had a lizard skin neoprene on the mtb, but a couple of new frames that have bigger chain stays and hence existing ‘skins don’t fit.

Before buying bigger ones, are folk just wrapping in copter tape? My anthem is 1×10 with clutch rear much, so less chance of annoying slap anyway so tape might surfice. The carbon 456 though is old school 2×9…

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

Inner tube,into 1″ wide strip and wrapped round.Finish with a zip tie and pvc tape.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Csixx

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for inner tube, fits every size combination.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use a slice of innertube fixed/covered with some self amalgamating tape.

therevokid
    Free Member

+2 for inner tube – I use an old roadie one and some cable ties 🙂

nach
    Free Member

+1 for old inner tube wrap and zip ties, works really well.

I had a neoprene one, which slipped around on the stay, soaking up loads of water and chainset gunk.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I use a slice of innertube fixed/covered with some self amalgamating tape.

Dont you find the self amalgamating tape gets ripped to shreds?
    I liked the sound of this idea but after one ride my chain had destroyed the tape. Didnt use inner tube though

jam-bo

this. always used inner tubes before but impressed so far.

stumpy01

My Stumpjumper came with a proper rubber/plastic chainstay protector that works really well.
    On the Inbred, I use a wrapped inner tube.

IHN

innertube, wrapped over itself at the crank end, insulation tape holding it at the cassette end. If you do it right and keep it tight as you go, you can get a double thickness the whole way along and it actually looks pretty neat.

wwaswas

I’ve been using old rim strips from tubeless kits – they give a neater finish than inner tubes as they sit flat on the stay.

cp

Ah, innertubes, forgot about those.

I’ve wrapped a portion of road tubes in the past, as IHN says but you end up using quite a bit of tube and thus adding the best part of 1/4lb.

Will try cutting open an mtb tube and wrapping that.

Ta for the reminder 🙂

Northwind

The normal self amalgamating tape I used was a bit too thin- worked ok on my Soda which had a clutch but not up to it for bigger bikes with more “slap”. Innertube is good. Trying mastic adhesive tape now which seems ideal (stuck on top and bottom rather than wrapped round)

IHN

Will try cutting open an mtb tube and wrapping that

I find cut open and then halved lengthways works best. If you try to use it ‘full width’ it’s too tricky to get a neat finish.

cp

I find cut open and then halved lengthways works best. If you try to use it ‘full width’ it’s too tricky to get a neat finish.

yep, ta, that’s what I meant 🙂

jacob46
    Free Member

Lizard skins from halfords or helicopter tape from
    http://www.biketart.com/76/products/biketape-invisible-frame-protection.aspx

Dont use inner tubes. They make your bike look cheap and nasty.

nach
    Free Member

“When protecting your frame, it is important to not use an old inner tube, or others might assume one is lower middle to working class, and that would not be mega-rad”.

“Thanks mister Cholmondley-Warner!”

grizedaleforest

Hosepipe and zip ties. Looks surprisingly good in a beefy functional sort of way…

cookeaa

I’ve used old tube, zip ties and leccy tape in the past that works well…

I have also done one bike with cheap bar tape right the way along the chainstay and I used Gaffa tape to finish the ends rather than leccy tape, that lasted surprisingly well…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘chain stay protection’ is closed to new replies.