Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chain slipping – diagnosis please, bike doctors.
  • tomc
    Free Member

My chain snapped at the weekend. Yesterday the missus nipped into the LBS for me. She came back with a SRAM chain which I fitted last night (following the instructions and using the old chain to determine the chain length). Seemed to run lovely on the commute in to work, which is mainly flat / downhill. No problems shifting gears. But on the way back it was slipping a lot – mainly when I got out of the saddle for some hills. The rest of the drive chain is shimano – but surely a standard SRAM chain should be compatible? The cogs aren’t particularly worn. I’m at a loss to explain it or know what to do to remedy it. Any ideas, bike doctors?

scotroutes

Most likely that the cassette is worn

edlong
    Free Member

New cassette needed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You should’ve gone to Cycle Surgery.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Yes… I had exactly the same….. New cassette time

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

new cassette or old chain and powerlink

br
    Free Member

How much wear had the old chain?

And if you don’t know…, you need to change the chain at a maximum of .75 and then you’ll get 3 chains to a cassette.

aracer
    Free Member

You should’ve gone to Cycle Surgery.

😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above, or sticky link on new chain which I had once.

tomc
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks like a new cassette is needed. But the old one doesn’t look that worn. Probably got 2000 miles in it.

Wrightyson. What did you do about the sticky link? How did you know which link it was?

Simon

It’s almost impossible to tell how worn a cassette is by looking at it.
    Either put the old chain back on with a power link or get a new cassette.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why couldn’t you have reused the old chain? Ok you’d probably have shorten it by a link or two, but unless you’re on a SS that should be ok.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chain slipping – diagnosis please, bike doctors.’ is closed to new replies.