Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chain 'slip'?
  • harley
    Free Member

Hey guys – just slapped on a new chain after the old one was looking rather sorry for itself.

However I’ve taken it out on a few rides and noticed that when under load (i.e. putting the power down on a steep incline) that the chain seems to ‘slip’ as if it’s jumping a link.

The chain seems to sit just fine, with little sag – but I can’t see where where I’ve ballsed up 🙂

oh all-knowing STW – won’t you help?

p.s. running a 3×9 XT set with SLX shifters on a Fuel EX8

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Did you change cassette as well, if its worn it may not fit a new chain leading to slipping. Just as chains “stretch” casettes wear and the pitch between teeth can be effectively lengthened and or the teeth worn/hooked leading to slipping specially under high load.

RealMan
    Free Member

New cassette and chainrings and jockey wheels probably needed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sweepy
    Free Member

cassette

steveh

Your cassette needs replacing as well by the sounds of it, maybe chainrings too. It happens if you don’t replace chains often enough while doing them too often.

Two schools of thought with this one really use a chain (or 2 swapped very often) until the reach an amount of wear (most easily checked with a chain checking tool) then change them and the cassette should be ok with a new chain, tho the wear on the next set to the same point will be quicker. Or just run the whole lot until it dies and then change it all in one go as I do.

charliedontsurf

Yeah your chain is new but your cogs and rings are worn so they don’t mesh together. Try a new cassette and then maybe the middle ring

harley
    Free Member

Nope, just the chain. The cassette looks (to my relatively untrained eye) to be in good shape – no major wear that I can spot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

worn cassette. new chain on worn cassette = slip.

either put the old chain back on until its totally fubared or buy a new cassette

harley
    Free Member

ah right – bit slow on the repies there. I’ll swap the cassette out this weekend. Is it worth running the middle ring until death also or just bite the bulle and replace the lot?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it worth running the middle ring until death also

it will usually outlast the chain and cassette, so yes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chain 'slip'?’ is closed to new replies.