Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chain shortening advice
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

I’ve removed my big cog and fitted a bash so am running 2×10. Looking to shorten the chain now and fit a Bionicon v02 Chain Guide. I’ve done some googling, but not being tech savvy, does this sound about right?

1) Remove all air from shock
    2) Split chain, measure chain from big (cog) to big without running chain through derailleur
    3) Add 2 links then rejoin chain
    4) Fit chain guide

Do I need to allow for any slack to accommodate the chain guide? many thanks.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

As above you are right, not need to have chain longer for guide.

itsmygame
    Free Member

Do u really need to let air out of shock?

I’ve done it big to big no rear der +2 links.

Seems fine and no dropped chain. Same method for my ht and fs

I’m quite possibly wrong though

ryanctj
    Free Member

From Pinkbike.com: ‘ Bottom the suspension – Full suspension bikes will often have the most chain growth when at full travel, so this is where you’ll have to size the chain. If your bike uses an air shock, simply let all of the air out by depressing the shock’s schrader valve as you compress the suspension (be sure to write down your air pressure before doing so), or remove the valve core to allow all of the air to escape’

Not sure if it’s essential so if you haven’t had problems just carry on I guess. P.s. many thanks for the advice both.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Surely just remove the equivalent number of links to the difference between the old outer and middle rings?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chain shortening advice’ is closed to new replies.