Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain rubbing on front mech in middle ring
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Running 3×10 and with middle 30t chain ring the chain rubs on the inside plate when using 36t cog (most contact with plate) and 32t cog (less contact with plate).

What do I need to do to adjust things and get them running more smoothly?

rocketman
    Free Member

Remove mech
    Remove shifter
    Remove big & small chain rings
    Replace middle ring with NW ring

No more probs + your bike is 500g lighter

HTH

cakefest
    Free Member

Interesting. Don’t think I’d ever get up the hills round here with that set up. Any other usable ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

Re-align your front mech.

how much clearance do you have at the other extreme – ie middle front and smallest rear?
    You can also change the crank offset but if it’s just started happening then it suggests the front mech has been knocked. It could also be a case of a distorted cage rather than the whole thing being rotated.

medoramas
    Free Member

Two things to consider/try:

1. Turn the cable tensioning barrel about 2 turns into the shifter – this will loose the cable a bit, which will lower the position of the mech.

2. You had a chainsuck recently and the front mech twisted slightly on the seat tube. Shift to the small ring (so the cable is loose) undo the mounting bolt a bit and twist the mech back to the proper position (I’d expect it to be about 3mm clockwise – if looking from the top of the bike).

andyl
    Free Member

forgot about the barrel adjusters – these can also get knocked but I would assume you would get rubbing in other gears. Not always though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain rubbing on front mech in middle ring’ is closed to new replies.