Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Chain rings – good value anyhwhere?
  • cardiff
    Free Member

Evening,

Anyone know where I can get some good value chain rings from? Mine are worn and are getting very anoying.

Never changed them before but my current ones are FSA 42,32 & 22 teeth with four stud attachemnt pattern! Do I need to know anything else about them to make sure the ones I buy fit?

Cheers

z1ppy

Should be the standard fitment, I bought SLX rings (deore would be fine too & cheaper) from rosebikes, & file off the excess plastic round the inside if the middle ring bolt fittings to make them fit XT cranks.

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have a look on rosebikes, I have FSA cranks, so should I stick to FSA chainrings or will others be compatable?

binners

I’d say it’s worth spending a bit more and go for quality. Middleburn will cost more but last for ages compared to shimano ones moulded out of cheese singles

cardiff
    Free Member

Would something like this be a good bet then? Oh and I’m running 9 speed on the back and are replacing that with a spram cassette

Linky

Cheers!

beej

That’s what I’ve just fitted, to replace the XT ones that came with my crankset. I’m a big fan of Middleburn rings, just don’t expect the visible hardcoat to last very long.

cardiff
    Free Member

Is it not really worth paying the little extra for the hardcoat then? Think I’m going to go with them seeing as a couple of you have recomended! Cheers for your help as always

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got a cheap FSA crank set for £45 with decent FSA rings on them as spares!

cardiff
    Free Member

One last thing, will I be ok to re-use the bolts from my old chain rings or do I need to buy middleburn ones?

beej

Bolts should be fine to reuse.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you really need to replace the outer ring? Deore steel are fine IMO

rangerbill

Its only my opinion but keep away from Deore steel rings. I just bought two in the last 6 months, both bent (Im 5’8″ and 9 and a 1/2stone so hardly a beast). The last bent within the first 10k of the first ride. Really poor quality for £18 but I thought they would last better than the £30+ LX/SLX alloy middle rings which last about 6 months before sucky sucky time.
    It does boil my wee a bit especially when you see the price of Motorbike sprockets (bigger more metal designed to take more stress?) http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/53095

Think I will try Middleburn next if they are getting good reviews

cardiff
    Free Member

Think they all need replacing, are worm (getting chain suck) plus thy are all visibly bent when you turn them sadly! Think I’ve hit them/ crashed!

bol

I’ve got a full set of xt chainrings you can have for £30 posted if you’re interested. Inner and outer unused; middle very lightly used and in perfect condition. Email in profile if so.

cardiff
    Free Member

Very interested, (was just about to press buy on CRC!) what size are they (teeth number) and are they the 4 bolt pattern?

Cheers

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve got a Middleburn ring and it does exactly as it says on the tin. Recommended.

Chainrings are expensive these days, it’s going to be Deore next time round.

bol

Yep, they’re 4 bolt, 9 speed off an M775. 22, 32, 44 if I recall. If you fancy them please email me your address and paypal gift to the email address in my profile. Cheers. They came off a chainset I bought off here recently for a build and swapped to 10 speed rings before using it. You should be able to find the original ad in my history.

cardiff
    Free Member

Bol, ygm

z1ppy

I’ve used Middleburn Hardcote slick shift for a number of years and get no longer than a year from then, no matter what I try, messing around changing chains. Though the sandy area I live has a lot to answer for.
    I gave a choice to a m8 or deore or MB @ double the price, he ask if I could say the MB’s would last double the length of time that the deores would.. he got the deores.

Pieface

CRC are doing a full set of hardcoat slickshifts for £60 (at least they were recently)

bol

Cardiff, ygm. I’ve messed up, but hopefully have a satisfactory solution!

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Confusing. Opinions seem to have it that cheapo steel Deore rings are fine and put up with UK conditions better than more expensive alloy, while at the same time more expensive alloy rings are much better than the cheapo steel Deore rings.
    Which is true, I wonder.

z1ppy

Try some deores(/SLX) yourself and find out? There cheap enough.. If you not happy with the performance buy some Middleburns? (other makes are available).

Though as foxyrider alluded too above, sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a ‘cheap’ crankset for the rings than buy replacement rings seperately (or was for me until rosebikes came along)…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m 16 stone + and heavy on the cranks I’ve been using deore middle and granny for a while now and I’ve no complaints. They seem to be lasting really well and the shifting is good.

float
    Free Member

aluminium is softer than steel…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, steel is harder than aluminium. SLX/XT middle rings have steel teeth embedded in a composite skeleton, supposedly for lighter weight.

I can’t comment on the weight, but my SLX middle looks unworn after a year of use while the outer ring is looking chewed. Rather than spluff a fortune on SLX/XT rings, you could save a few quid by opting for steel Deore rings.

The Middleburn rings are aluminium with a coating, which is said to improve wear rates. Certainly, I’ve been running mine for best part of two years and it seems fine.

jason221
    Free Member

Agree with franciscobegbie

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Chain rings – good value anyhwhere?’ is closed to new replies.