Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chain ring mud/crap guard
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

A lot of crap gets thrown up at the chain rings when riding on the roads causing wear on the drive train.

Ignoring the fact that full length mudguards are available, does anyone know of any products out there designed to protect the chain ring area?

I’ve seen a home made example and a chain thong (another to add to the don’t google list!), see pics below:

JoB
    Free Member

um, neither of those seem to be doing a good job of keeping the chain-ring area clean, or the rest of the drivetrain getting crap thrown up onto it

billytinkle
    Free Member

I agree with you about the chain thong – it doesn’t extend far enough to cover the lower part of the chain ring, but the home made example looks like it’d do the job? Albeit in a very ugly way.

JoB
    Free Member

it doesn’t address the fact that the whole drivetrain rear of whatever bit of plastic you put round the chainrings isn’t protected from the elements, the crap from which will efficiently make its way onto the chainrings every pedal revolution

if no-one’s made something like this there’s usually a reason

bigcam
    Free Member

The celebrations tub bike is mine 🙂

It does stop a load of crap from the front and I really could do with something on the non-drive side to keep the BB seals clear there too.
    However, the bigger problem is mud building on the sidewall of the tyre and getting scraped off by the chain and being carried around to the rear mech.

I’m working on that – but the trouble is the slack side of the chain hanging so low…

bc.

PhilO
    Free Member

If it’s a single ring, then a Hebie Chain Glider is the best option, I reckon. For multiple rings, I doubt if there is a solution other than frequent cleaning and lubing. Using Scottoil might be the way to make that relatively painless.

D0NK

Ignoring the fact that full length mudguards are available,

full guards and mudflap on my CX commuter but the drivechain still gets absolutely covered in crap with the current conditions, at the moment needing a wipe down and relube daily. Mainly splash straight up from the front wheel I reckon tho there will be some stuff falling from the rear guard onto the drivechain.

Chain thong looks like it would help, would be tempted to give it a go. so how do you keep it in place bigcam – now billytinkle has warned us not to google it 🙂

D0NK

If it’s a single ring, then a Hebie Chain Glider is the best option

hmmmm, can they be used with a tensioner? I can see there’s a top run only version, just wondered if you could run a bottom cover as far as the tensioner.

JoB
    Free Member

Cleland Cycles have a special chain mudguard

bigcam
    Free Member

JoB – Now that is awesome…

Donk – it’s just cable ties for the celebrations tub – and a little rubber tap washer for spacing for the seat tube.

I looked at the chain thong, but I think it’s just for doubles.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Donk – it’s just cable ties for the celebrations tub – and a little rubber tap washer for spacing for the seat tube.

Thanks for posting Bigcam! Had no idea you’d be on here! I thought it would be mounted via the BB – sandwiched between frame and bottom bracket like some bash guards and chain retention devices.

I was thinking of getting something knocked up to mount via a ISCG05 adapter or similar when I get round to it. I was inspired a little by the Trek Broadsider’s bash guard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chain ring mud/crap guard’ is closed to new replies.