Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chain on a full sus
  • flyingmonkeycorps

How does one set the length? On a hardtail I’d wrap it round the two biggest cogs (and chain device!) and add a couple of links, but that doesn’t allow for suspension travel…

Conan257
    Free Member

Exactly the same, but add a few more links.

If you want to check, remove the shock and move the suspension to its limits.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cool cheers. That was kinda what I figured. Better too long than too short I guess…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GeForceJunky

Best to let the air out of your shock and work out how much chain growth you get. Some frames get a huge amount. I think my old SC Bullit was about 3 inches!

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s easy enough to do. I’d sooner not take the shock out if I don’t have to, but no problem I guess!

Need to remember to take chain device into account this time too!

composite
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance I’m about to do this for the first time myself.

If you are not sat on the bike when you measure the chain (so there is no sag and the shock is at it’s longest) then why would the chain be too short measured in the normal way? ie big chainring to big cassette sprocket + 1 link.

flyingmonkeycorps

‘Cos when the suspension compresses the cassette moves further away from the chainring – to varying degrees depending on the suspension linkage, pivot points etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

composite – because with some suspension designs the rear axle gets further away from the BB as the suspension compresses so with the sus compressed you need a longer chain

composite
    Free Member

Yes that makes total sense, thanks. 😳

vinnyeh

Why would you want to remove the shock to measure? A bit excessive I’d have thought.

flyingmonkeycorps

Well, if it was a coil you’d have to if you wanted to be sure.

thepodge
    Free Member

Or do like I just did and buy a frame with the pivot around the bb.

flyingmonkeycorps

I actually have one of those, though it’s the outgoing frame not the incoming one.

GavinB

Or do like I just did and buy a frame with the pivot around the bb.

That’s bit excessive surely? The poor bloke just asked for a spot of advice on how to fit a new chain, and you’re telling him he needs a new frame!

flyingmonkeycorps

Singletrack innit 😀 I’d expect nothing less. Just surprised no one has recommended a singlespeed rigid 29er yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chain on a full sus’ is closed to new replies.