• This topic has 52 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Chain Lube – What works for you?
  • Reluctant
    Free Member

Using white Lightning Epic at the mo and quite happy with it. Used all sorts over the years.
    It needs to be remembered that we're trying to lube the inside if the chain, not outside, so thinner lubes get in better. GT or WD are fine for shorter rides, but need frequent application. They penetrate well – but be careful with aerosols – they go all over the place and will contaminate your discs. Dropper bottles are best, little and often and clean in between.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally, I don't think it really matters WHAT you lube your chain with as long as there's something on there, and when it gets dirty, you clean the chain and re-apply. It's the crap that wears chains, not the lube…!
    Which is pretty much every ride. So, if you need to clean it, it's important that it comes off fairly easily with the muck. ATM I'm using some Pedros stuff because it was cheap, but it doesn't seem to be any better than engine oil/fork oil/whatever is in the garage which I normally use and I've never noted that my drivetrain seems to suffer for it
    😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Peter – I agree and this is why I am so impressed with the motorcycle wax – it stays on and remains clean for multiple rides / hundreds of miles.

'Cos its solid it stays on the chain / in the rollers and it is not sticky so muck doesn't stick and can't get into the rollers 'cos the wax is in the way

nuke

Thing I'm getting from this thread is a contradiction over what would seem the most popular lube: Finish Line Green is used by many riders (and I use it myself) but it does tend to retain dirt which seems to be counter to what you want a lube to do as this will increase drivetrain wear…is that right!?! Better to use a lube like Purple Extreme which doesn't collect dirt although you may have to re-apply more often.

glenp
    Free Member

I once used an individual butter portion from a ploughman's lunch – hot day on the South Downs and had forgotten to lube the chain at breakfast.

DickBarton

I'm using Spurt wax-based oil. Seems to be very good and the chain seems to remain cleaner for longer – it still picks up dirt but seems to be easier to wash off as well…

Bikemagic were running a competition for the stuff a couple of months ago, I was after some new luve and entered…didn't think much of it but got a sample through the door, tried it out and it seemed to work very well (previously was using Finish Line Wet Lube – which worked but did seem to need reapply after each slight damp ride) – this new stuff, gets applied once a fortnight and seems to last very well indeed.

It's my first use a wax-based lube and I'm immpressed with it – shifting is still crisp and the chain takes very little time to come up clean again after it gets a good drowning in muddy water. I doubt I'll go back to the Finish Line stuff as this works very well indeed (and from what I can tell I can get twice the amount of lube for the same price as the Finish Line stuff so theoretically it should last me longer as well).

zaskarrider
    Free Member

Hi

I use GT85 when things are really dry ( Yeh OK so i dont use it often :roll:)
    But mainly i use White Lightning wet lube… I find this works very well and stands up to the 24 miles of the red route in Dalby forest without the need to carry lube with me.
    A quick clean off wil GT85 when done re apply the white lightning and things are all smooth again….works for me.
    Plus the white lightning smells fantastic !!!

anc
    Free Member

This stuff works a treat, lasts all ride and great value too. UK company also 😉

http://finesse-products.co.uk/multilube.htm

DezB
    Free Member

^ That was the one I used to get from Wiggle. Funnily enough, found a can still with loads in I didn't know I had!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've decided to try some putonline wax like TJ's been experimenting with.

Chain lube is a recurrent theme on here when its wet, so I'll post up what I think once I've had a chance to use it a bit.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Another vote for FL Green/wet. Sometimes FL Red on the road if there won't be even a hint of damp, otherwise it just seems to disappear. Got a little sample of that Squirt stuff at a Merida so will try that soon.

I can't really be bothered to try loads of different ones- I reckon it'd be near impossible to say that one's much better than another given the huge variation in conditions when you're riding.

solar
    Free Member

I've been using squirt for about the last month too, mostly just on the commute. The chain seems to stay reasonably clean at least compared with FL green, and I've not had to clean it at all. Shifts are clean and precise. I do get gunk building up after a while but a quick once over with a dry brush sorts that out.

nuke

I've been using squirt for about the last month too

Just did a google search for 'squirt lube'…shouldn't have clicked on images 😯

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Chain Lube – What works for you?’ is closed to new replies.