Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain Lube
  • santacruz
    Free Member

What do you use / recommend?

Milkie
    Free Member

One with oil in it. 😆

wwaswas

I always used finish line green but recently started using X-Lite wet stuff – seems to do as good a job and isn’t as sticky.

The garage smells all citrusy after I apply it too, which is nice 🙂

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Water and grit mostly for the last 4 months. Stays on, doesn’t wash off, easy to re-apply.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The Putoline stuff (like gloopy boot polish in a tin) for motorcycles that you need to boil up on the stove is the one to go for apparently, lasts for ages and gives the rider superhuman powers as a side effect……

…as a mere mortal I’ve found Purple Extreme and Fenwicks wet lube have both worked well this winter with the PE giving less grunge but needing more frequent application (every 50k or so) and the Fenwicks giving more grunge but lasting all week

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always been one to religiously clean and relube after every ride. However, I’ve been trying squirt after hearing good things on here. I’ve even used it through a winter in the peaks. Now when I get home, I take the chain off, quick rinse under the hot tap in the kitchen sink, rub with a towel than lay on the radiator until I need it next. Bit more squirt while the chain is still hot and job done. Rest of the bike just gets warm soapy water instead of degreasing.

kezzergraves
    Free Member

I use shock oil or veg oil. I can sell you some high performance lube, proven by ‘science’ to be 3 times better than any other lube ever for 4 quid per 100ml tho.

K

enduro-aid
    Free Member

dirt juice’s chain juice is pretty good i find

13thfloormonk

Going off Squirt lube to be honest, struggling to get more than 150km on the road bike or 50k on the MTB.

Wouldn’t be such a bad thing but you can’t really just apply it and carry on, it needs time to dry, which is difficult on multi-day rides.

Back to the finish line green I think, I found the best way was to wipe the chain clean after every ride with an old rag, easy to do, no messy degreasing required and the chain seems to last just as long.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger is right about the putoline. £18 a kilo,lasts hundreds of miles on the chain even in the wet, messy faff to apply, chains last much longer. I won’t be going back to expensive ineffective cycle specific lubes

failedengineer

Synthetic engine oil mixed with paraffin to your desired consistency. Simples.

mav12
    Free Member

i just found half a bottle of scottoiler oil trying that at the moment

does no one use chainsaw oil anymore

smiffy

Sawchain Oil for me. at £6 a gallon you can’t go far wrong.

ourmaninthenorth

Any old dry lube.

Wet lubes just cause all manner of crap to stick to the chain.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain Lube’ is closed to new replies.