Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chain falling off -help!
  • spw3

Just been for the second ride on my new Ragley. And I hate it.

In the 7 miles of the Follow the Dog trail at Cannock my chain came off 7 times. Despite having the roller from an e13 DRS fitted.

I have a single 32 chain ring up front, no front dérailleur. The chain cannot be made any shorter whilst still be able to select the 34t cog.

So apart from fitting a full-on single chainring chain device which of the following will make a difference:

1. Fit a bashring to stop the chain coming off pedal-side.
    2. Fit an inner ring plate to stop the chain falling off granny side.
    3. Fit a single ring specific chainring with no ramps or pins.

If I do (1) and (2) will I get away without a chain device? Itvwould ve nice to avoid the increased drag that chain dviced inevitably bring.

I welcome the thoughts of the Singletrack Massive!

luked2
    Free Member

I ran my Swift as a 1×9 for a bit with just a Surly single-speed 3/32" chainring at the front and had no problems with chain drop (medium-cage derailler). YMMV.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What cog and ring are you using?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

an unramped chainring will make a big difference

spw3

Hi Guys,

thanks for trying to help. You can probably imagine the colourful language that the Chase had visited upon it this afternoon.

I have a SRAM 980 (something-34t) at the back and a RaceFace 32t middle ring at the front. Chain is SRAM I think. The chain ring obviously has all the ramps and pins you'd want for smooth shifting under other circumstances. But I really would like to run it 1×9 because it looks clean, it suits the bike and its all I really need for the riding I'm planning on doing with this bike.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

spw3

Oh, Hi TandemJeremy,

<off topic>

thanks for replying to my question about too-stiff Pikes yesterday. I set Floodgate on minimum and the compression dial all the way counter-clockwise and it was much more active. I think I had inadvertently locked the forks out.

Still not convinced I'll avoid getting a softer spring though

<off topic>

S.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think we have an answer now. Get yourself some singlespeed specific kit! You need an unramped chainring and a s/s cog. These will have longer teeth and are not designed to aid the chain coming off!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have a Blackspire blackguard for sale if you're interested – £10.

However, I'd get a dedicated system like an E13 LS1/LG1.

spw3

Piedi,

I want to run 1×9 not singlespeed (I'm foolish, not crazy). But I get your drift.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ok, just an unramped one up front then. Everytime you shift on the rear to a cog that's not lined up with the front, it's going to want to come off

scaredypants

Proper unramped rings make a big difference IME

and/or

which side of the chainring did it fall off – inwards or outwards ?

(can use either a bashring or a jump-stop depending which side)

spw3

Cool. Any obvious ones to get or is it just a case of letting Mr ChainReaction sort it out?

brakes
    Free Member

where's the roller? it would be more useful on the top.
    other than that, if you don't want to get an e13 XCX or an MRP 1.x then get an unramped ring and tighten the spring on the rear mech to increase the chain tension

br
    Free Member

Have you the right spacer on the BB/crank?

Also is the chain new and/or matched to age with the chain ring?

spw3

Hi guys,

Good questions. Yes the chain is pretty new and matched to the cassette. I guess I could see if it's possible to run the roller above the chain.

The chainline is pretty much spot on.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

have had the same problem. chain jumped off etc.,

i have fitted a race face light bash ring, shortened the chain loads, its really tight on the lowest gear. the cage is really extended. sounds odd when it gets bumpy i keep pedalling to keep it all flowing.

chain does not come off now……..

good luck. 1×9 really does work.

spw3

CHeers rocky, here's hoping.

Now where is my CRC password…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chain falling off -help!’ is closed to new replies.