Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chain drop with NW and non clutch mech?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Think I’ve accidentally bought a non-clutch 10 speed mech. From the classifieds so no returns.

According to SRAM, the rear mech isn’t the issue so much as the chainrings therefore, a NW is all that’s needed.

True?

Anyone run NW and clutchless? Experiences? It’ll be on a full sus so chain’ll have to be a little looser than a HT to allow for chain growth.

Thanks

paladin

Just gone 1*10 with a dinner plate and NW and still have my clutchless slx mech to see how it goes. So far, so good, but it’ll be getting chucked down Ben Rinnes this week as a bit more of a test.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Be interested to see how it goes paladin.

nicholas_yiu

I ran a raceface nw with a slx non clutch. Dropped my chain every 5 mins. fitted a Bionic C-guide and no more dropped chain.

Mugboo

Having broken a couple of clutchs, maybe the C guide is the way to go..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aren’t those Bionicon thingies about 30 quid? For a bit of plastic tubing? Ooft.

larrystumbles
    Free Member

Running 1×9 on clutchless xt rear mech and nw chainring… Only dropped the chain once and that was going down Jacobs ladder, not dropped it anywhere else. Worth trying it out before splashing out on a chain guide I reckon

paladin

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Aren’t those Bionicon thingies about 30 quid? For a bit of plastic tubing? Ooft.

My home made bionicon…

brant
    Free Member

Just use a DCD.

kimbers

I used my quite worn raceface narrowide on by hardtail with a non clutch xt and it actually worked really well

On my full suss I needed an upper guide and an upgrade to a longer toothed superstar nw ring to make it work even using a clutch mech

kimbers

Brant are you typing that from 1998 ?

welshfarmer

I run an X0 rear without clutch and a 42 ring and a NW front on 1×10. I have always had a chainguide until this weekend when I have removed it. Anyway, full day at BPW riding all the blacks and the A470 jump line and didn’t lose the chain once. Not very scientific I know but promising….

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’m an expat and am having family bring the bits over at Christmas. I can’t really ‘wait and see’ as I only get one chance to buy my components.

I’m trying to stick to a £100 budget. Money’s tight and I bought a new frame and forks over the summer.

I can make the budget with the clutchless mech.

chain £14
    Blackspire NW ring £30 (there are cheaper but this one doesn’t need single ring chain bolts)
    SLX M670 shifter £25

Already spent £30 on shadow XT mech and cassette.

Northwind

makecoldplayhistory – Member

Anyone run NW and clutchless? Experiences? It’ll be on a full sus so chain’ll have to be a little looser than a HT to allow for chain growth.

The clutch in my XT mech broke on, IIRC, day 3 of an alps week- never dropped the chain for the remainder but it made a hell of a lot more noise.

I’ve tried it the other way round- clutch mech, non-nw ring- and it was just useless.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I guess that was a FS in the Alps Northwind.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I run a 30T NW ring with clutchless X5 rear mech on my Fatty (with a 40T dinner plate at the back) and have only dropped the chain once since March

Northwind

makecoldplayhistory – Member

I guess that was a FS in the Alps Northwind.

It was, aye- but not a huge amount of chaingrowth I suppose.

brant
    Free Member

Del

the on-one NW is 25 quid and doesn’t need bolts either.

GavinB

I’m not sure if it was because I was running a used 9-speed chain, but my experiment with N/W chainring to std rear mech on my FS lasted one ride. Just recently switched it all over to 10-speed with a clutch mech and it’s working perfectly so far (3 rides c45 miles).

I’m not sure if it was the old 9 speed chain that was the factor here or not, as I understood that the internal width was the same for 9-10 speed chains, and it was only the external width that varied ie on a single ring setup, this shouldn’t be a factor.

Del

sram mechs will always work better as their springs are stronger – taking about non-clutch.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Depends how hard you ride. When I took it easy and did a nice XC ride with my son or a hangover no dropped chain with just a NW. Jumping about on the blacks at Degla yesterday and my chain would have fallen off every 20secs without my clutch mech.

paladin

Did Ben Rinnes and Glenlivet today. Dropped the chain once with non-clutch mech. Often enough that I’ll replace it with a clutch mech when the current one dies, but I won’t be in any rush to change it.

granny_ring

Nice one brant!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chain drop with NW and non clutch mech?’ is closed to new replies.