Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chain cleaner / degreaser Not spray
  • bikebob

Hi, I have a Park Tools chain cleaner, their chainbrite is good but expensive. I know you get what you pay for etc. And it’s important to keep the chain clean especially when riding for hours in mud. But what do others use? Any cheaper alternatives to Park chainbrite
    Thanks

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve got fed up of using chain cleaners – they just make a huge mess.
    When I did use one I found Hope Sh1t shifter worked pretty well. Not as well as Muc Off, however, I stopped using that when they filled it full of nano particles.

No I just use a KMC power link, 1 litre squash bottle and some petrol. Works far better and doesn’t result in mesh everywhere!

simondbarnes

Juice Lubes Super Gnarl works really well

simondbarnes

Juice Lubes Super Gnarl works really well

buck53

Genetic brake/part cleaner from the auto store. About 8 quid for a 5 litre can.

Works really well, safe on rubber/plastic pasta, evaporates off to a clean finish and flushes it any water having around in you links.

carlos
    Free Member

Got a park chain cleaner that I use now and again. Normally though, bike just gets washed and then a good squirt of GT85 or similar. If I think it needs a propper clean then the ‘plastic bottle and petrol’ comes out, dry, lube, sorted.

jonba
    Free Member

washing up liquid for the brush contraptions or white spirit for on an old rag for just wiping.

mulacs

Gunk works well for me…

stumpy01

Fenwicks FS1. You can dilute it 10-1 and use it as a bike cleaner or use it neat to clean chains.

andypandy85
    Free Member

I use washing up liquid in my Park chain cleaner thingy, rinse with water afterwards, good as gold!

svalgis
    Free Member

I’ve got fed up of using chain cleaners – they just make a huge mess.

No I just use a KMC power link, 1 litre squash bottle and some petrol. Works far better and doesn’t result in mesh everywhere
    Same issue and same solution here, except that I use diesel. It evaporates after a while so minimal residue, and since it’s petroleum based it won’t affect whatever chain lube you use anyway – in contrast to other degreasers that you really don’t want to have left in your links when applying new oil.

Just drop the entire chain into the bottle, give it a good shake and leave it for a good while (ideally you’ll have at least two chains to alter between – just leave one in there until the next switch). Of course you can reuse the diesel/petrol forever so it’s a one time cost too. Just run it through a coffee filter once in awhile to get rid of the guck.

Most of the time though, a wipe, some new chain lube left over night and then another wipe before the next ride to get rid of the excess is enough.

tmb467
    Free Member

Plus one for Gunk. Apart from the fact that it also degreases your fingers too.

Wear gloves!

kevin1911

I use parafin in a sandwich box. Give it a shake, leave to soak, another shake, and your done

deadkenny
    Free Member

Other than wiping down and lubing each ride, clean it only if it needs it. Water and maybe tiny bit of soap/fairy liquid. One of those chain cleaner devices works well. I know some don’t like MucOff but I don’t have a problem with the stuff. I don’t actually clean the clain with it, just a spray over the bike at distance (not into bearings) and then gentle hose down. Bike and chain comes up nice and clean. Wipe dry and lube the chain with *oil* (not GT85!).

But degreasers, (including supposedly not degreasers that work very well as a degreaser, i.e. GT85!) – no. They strip out the factory grease from the inside of the rollers. Not sure why people seem obsessed with total degrease of chains, especially on a brand new chain. You’ll never get as good lube inside the chain ever again, and that’s where it counts. Just keep the outside generally clean and lubed, and stop using wet lube in the mud and grit 😉

buck53

Washing up liquid has salt in it, I steer clear when there are other ray made alternatives already in your house (most likely). As others have said though don’t need to go to mad with the cleaning, the horror stories of fruit combining with lube to make a grinding paste will only happen after weeks/months with no cleaning at all.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I love these threads.. Op asks a simple question then 10 people come out of the woodwork to tell him how he’s doing it wrong and how somehow cleaning a chain with a toothbrush and some white spirit makes less mess than using a chain cleaner.. Wtf exactly are you guys doing with your chain cleaners to make so much mess??!

Op- I’ve not yet found a good replacement for the park degreaser, everything else I’ve tried foams up too much. Annoyingly I can’t even find the genuine park stuff anywhere at the moment, it’s almost as if its discontinued- you can get it as part of the kit but nowhere seems to list the fluid on its own.

Scratch that- wiggle stocks it 🙂

bikebob

Thanks all for replies. Some good options that I will try. Just got park chain cleaner gizmo so will use till dead but reading above, chain in a bottle is pretty popular option.
    DeadK. I use muc off on bike applied liberally to drive chain and brake areas. Also use wet lube after. I was just wanting to give the chain a good clean as all my riding seems to be in wet gritty mud. Probably like everyone’s has been.
    I’m keen to loose that grinding noise when I ride, I fear my chain set is disappearing as I ride.
    Thanks again all, I will work through all you suggestions.

jamj1974

I use finish line citrus degreaser both for a chain cleaner and off the bike chain cleaning. Works well slightly diluted and is biodegradable.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Virosol Website

Virosol citrus degreaser

Get this from our lab in small quantities – 5 litres should last years! Used it in chain cleaners or taken chain off and used a tub and brush. Seems to work well and doesn’t seem to be too agressive.

Probably* same as other Park/Finish Line stuff for loads less

*may not be true 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

I used to use Simple Green on my chain when I used oil chain lube. I switched to a wax so rarely have to scrub the chain now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Chain off and in diesel, not petrol, because its way more effective than petrol and much safer, using petrol is just too dangerous.

While the chain is off you can clean the transmission, something chain devices don’t help with.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chain cleaner / degreaser Not spray’ is closed to new replies.