Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chain advice please.
  • jetski690
    Free Member

Hi, being a relatively new boy to MTB I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction for getting a new chain, I’ve got a Trek Fuel EX8 (2011) comes with a Shimano chain which I’ve never been overly impressed with since day one, anyway I’ve snapped the chain and would like to replace it with something better and have been recommended one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=51844
    Is it 100%compatable for my bike as on the chain ring it say’s only use HGX.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Chains usually snap after being damaged by being shifted under load, or, in Shimano’s case, from an incorrectly installed joining pin. It’s very rare for them to break because of a design/manufacturing fault.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is your bike 10 spd?

jetski690
    Free Member

Yeah it’s 10 speed thanks.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Shimano chains are better than Sram- stronger and longer lasting. I’d recommend replacing the broken link with a Sram Powerlock then you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/CN_SRAM_POWER_LOCK_10.html?action=currency&id=GBP

colande
    Free Member

how long did you ride on that chain,
    it might not be as simply as changing the chain
    if it is stretched and the cassette is worn with it then you’ll need to replace both.
    but get a new chain and see if it matches up hopefully it doesn’t slip.
    if it does slip get a new cassette as well

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Since it’s a 2011 bike, unless he’s ridden thousands of miles in 2 months then the cassette will be fine.

jetski690
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, the bike’s only about 4 months old and has not done megga amount of work, not sure which route to go down now to be honest.

ojom
    Free Member

Simply replace like for like.

As previous poster mentioned, chains do not just break. Even the basic quality/heavy as a planet cheap chains don’t suffer from this.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Has Jetski punished the chain by lots of mis-shifting & underload changes? That can encourage a chain to fail prematurely, done it myself!

I like SRAM chains, agree with perhaps rejoining the old chain with a powerlink

jetski690
    Free Member

I would say I have been guilty of mis-shifting underload I suppose it’s a learning curve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chain advice please.’ is closed to new replies.