Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Centrelock Rotors and that 'disc on wrong side' thing of Cy's. Will I die?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I gave up on repairs to the rear wheel of my Cotic X as costs were mounting, and cunningly bought some cheap Shimano CX rims with centrelock rotors.

I’d forgotten about the rotor being on the RHS on the front of this bike. I think I may have asked a question about whether it wodl pose a self-slackening issue, but it totally passed me by that the rotor would also be rotating in the wrong direction too. On a 6-hole rotor you simply flip it. You can’t do that with a centrelock.

So. I have shiney new wheels and a front brake rotor that’s not rotating in the direction Uncle Shimano planned. I’m currently running cable brakes but may well put HyRd’s on at some point. The rotor is a sensible chunky RT64 (same pattern as RT66) so not a super thin delicate thing. Am I asking for trouble here ? I really like the original fork and don’t really want to need to stick an aftermarket carbon fork on just to move the caliper…

scotroutes

The rotors are designed to work in one direction. There was a spate of Ashman rotor failures related to them marking them wrong

13thfloormonk

Personally I wouldn’t have worried about it self slackening, there’s nothing which would drag on the lockring in any sort of way that would cause it to loosen, and obviously the disc itself is prevented from rotating by the splines on the hub.

Buuuuut… I remember a hellish amount of juddering and squealing from my old hope brakes when I accidentally mounted the rotor the wrong way round, i.e. with the arms ‘swaying’ the wrong way. It looks like the RT64 has ‘swaying’ arms also so I guess it could also be noisy under braking.

I guess you could find a rotor which is symmetrical, this probably wouldn’t mind being rotated the wrong way?

vincienup
    Free Member

I get that, hence the worry. I’m thinking I probably won’t put down enough braking force with a BRR517 and 105 5700 lever to cause a practical issue though?

Maybe it would be wise to skip hydraulics on this fork though?

vincienup
    Free Member

The other obvious option would be a centrelock converter and whack a regular six bolter on backwards?

scotroutes

Buy a centrelock to 6 bolt adapter and a 6 bolt rotor then mount the rotor the right direction

Edit; I took to long to type that!

vincienup
    Free Member

Probably the best plan. Bugger. Oh well, guess I’m not riding this bike on Monday…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Centrelock Rotors and that 'disc on wrong side' thing of Cy's. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.