Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Centrelock lockring tool?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Merlin

01772 432431

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP I had a similar problem with On One centre lock hubs. On One advised me just to tighten the clamp bolt on the adaptor (before finally tightening the rotor bolts) and forget about the locking ring thing. I did that and it worked fine.

Currently that’s the only option, but I don’t like it and I was thinking of new brakes later this year, possibly CL discs, and without the lockring I’m buggered. I cannot find the lockring for sale on it’s own so far.
    When Merlin ring me back I’m going to be very nice to them and ask them to swap it for a 6-bolt hub if they can’t provide the correct lockring.

BigGraham
    Free Member

this is the shim external 15/20mm lockring which would work fine if all else fails but hopefully merlin will sort ya out

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thanks Graham, much appreciated, bit pricy though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

IS THAT DEEPER AND WILL IT CLEAR THE 15MM SPACER????

YES AND MAYBE WHICH IS WHY I KIND OF RETRACTED MY ADVICE.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Peter, if you want to give it a go, I’ve got an ‘external’ lockring from a dead 20mm xt hub (does up with the flat ht2 spanner as opposed to the socket ones). I shouldn’t see why it woudn’t fit since the little flappy washer bit is the same size as the one you have in your picture above.

Drop us an email with an address if youwant it posting. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a result!
    I was very nice to Merlin and they are sending me a Mavic adaptor with an external lockring for free. Let’s hope that sorts it! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Julian, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that but I’ll see how I get on first 🙂

If not, I’d hang onto that lockring if I were you! 😀

BigGraham
    Free Member

Yep that should work fine for you, and the lockring will work with C/L rotors if you do switch over. Happy day’s!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, fingers crossed Graham! 🙂

I’m glad I started this thread now, as I had no idea there was a differnt lockring. Always ready to learn!

BigGraham
    Free Member

🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

If not, I’d hang onto that lockring if I were you!

I didn’t realise madison were asking £26 for one. 😯 That’s pretty much what I bought my old slx 20mm hub (normal rrp) and xt one (sales) for.

D0NK

From speed reading the above I dunno if you managed to get this one sorted but the new CL/cassette lockring tools are not the same as old cassette tools, same spline but machined out inside so it doesn’t interfer with axles. My 775 wheels have fat QR axles I had to get the new tool. No idea if it will fit over the 15mm axles but I would guess it’s the same one.

Squirrel

Anyone else agree how stoopid this all is? Not so very long ago you could buy pretty much any disc wheel and any rotor and attach them with an Allen key. Now look what we’ve got: can’t even sort out what tool to use. Who is benefitting from all this non-compatibility malarkey exactly? 🙄

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you got it sorted, but I had the same problem with my centre lock and had to buy a new cassette tool as the old one wasn’t deep enough to reach over the QR – so this is the one I bought to solve the issue…works a treat (Much deeper than the normal tool)! CLICKY!

13thfloormonk

Aha…

This is all starting to sound familiar but from a different angle, fitting an XT centrelock disc to an XTR hub with a pedros tool, using a QR to hold the tool in place, always resulted in a mal-adjusted hub!

Think the tool was fouling the cone with the result that it would adjust the hub sligthly as I tightened.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m all sorted now. Merlin sent me a Mavic adaptor which works perfectly and looks very neat. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Centrelock lockring tool?’ is closed to new replies.