Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Centrelock front hub options
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Need to build a new front wheel. XT is my default option for life/cost, but could be tempted to deviate this time. So, what options have I got, beyond Shimano, for a centrelock QR front hub?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

DT swiss 240.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Good shout – would prefer if it was below £100, but that wasn’t in the OP 😉

rascal
    Free Member

Hi OP

I have a Sun Equaliser black rim built onto an XT Centerlock hub with XT skewer.
    It’s used but in great condition – dead straight and true on smooth bearings – never even needed a nipple tweak 😉
    Even comes with a rotor if you’d like.
    I only changed it when I got Maxle Revelations.

I’m sure we could reach a mutual price if you’re interested.
    Drop me an email if you are…cheers

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Should have mentioned – these are going on my disced road commuter, so will be paired with a 700c rim…..

rascal
    Free Member

Should have mentioned – oh well

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Hmmmm – bit of googling over lunch says I can get XT for ~£30…… or save 15g and spend double and get DT350…… double again and save another 20g and get DT240…..

Based on this, still struggling to see past the XT’s.

midlifecrashes

If it’s for a commuter, get a dynohub. Schmidt will do you a centrelock for only a bit more than four times the price of Shimano.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-alfine-dh-s501-6v-30w-quick-release-disc-dynamo-front-hub-32h-prod30900/

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Have a Shimano dynohub/B+M setup on the ‘other’/winter commuter – the bike this wheel is for is the summer bike/training bike, hence I was hoping to shift a bit of lard from the current XT/Open Pro combo.

Given the way the hub cost/weight equation is stacking up, I think I’ll stick with XT and splurge the money on some Stan’s Alpha 340 disc rims instead. Current XT front hub is well past 10,000 miles (all road) and is just feeling rough, so I don;t really have any issues with it’s life.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Centrelock front hub options’ is closed to new replies.