Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Central / South America advice
  • lucky7500

Has anyone travelled at all in Cental or South America either with or without a bike? I quite fancy having a holiday in the region (I know I’m talking generally about a huge continent) but can’t entirely decide whether or not it’s a good idea. Most likely travelling alone if that makes a difference and I’ve never taken a bike on a flight before!!

sgn23
    Free Member

Cusco in Peru would be good. You could fly into Lima then fly to Cusco quite simply with a bike. Lots of historic sights to see amongst the mountains. I didn’t find anything particularly technical, but it’s probably there as there were lots of trails (many created by the Incas). There’s MTB guides in Cusco to help you get to the best bits.

mattongley
    Free Member

I’d be heading to South America not central. It’s safe despite peoples views, we cycled from Argentina to Alaska with no issues.

Huaraz is a much less touristy option than Cusco; it’s in the Cordillera Blanca, one of the most amazing mountain ranges on the planet and is full of trails.

Check out this bog, Neil and Harriet spent a few months there cycling and hiking.

Hope this helps

Matt

BillMC

I’ve travelled in El Salvador and Guatamala a few years running. No problems, really enjoyed it. Great surf in El Salvador. Went on a guided bike ride up a volcano in Guatemala, bike was crepe and the leader broke his arm. But all in all a good and challenging ride. I wouldn’t bother taking a serious bike out there, too much of an encumbrance and a target. Like things that fly and float, hire it! Incidentally, if in Antigua get to the Ocelot Bar.

lucky7500

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful advice.
    Matt, I’m not sure how I hadn’t come across the blog already, I suspect I’ll be picking up the book shortly!
    BillMC, Very handy advice about hiring. One of my concerns has been the hassle and potential cost of moving a bike around with me on a trip that might involve a good bit of non bike activity, and not really knowing if hire bikes are widely available in what I imagine to be relatively remote areas.

BillMC

You would seriously struggle with a bike in my view and if you don’t take one, you don’t have to worry about it and you will be more mobile/transportable. There are lots more adventures to be had in addition to cycling.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

My girlfriend and I spent 3 month last year traveling from panama to Guatemala via their super cheap buses. Great fun, i unfortunately got dengue fever and then my appendix burst ( not ideal but purely coincidental). Made use of Guatemalas free somewhat ghetto health care, dirty beds, nurse not using gloves to put a drip into myself then my girlfriend (clean needles) etc.
    i would be concerned about the safety of my bike if traveling about, i saw someone get a bag nicked off a bus and heard of sketchier stories. I wouldnt let any of this put you off traveling there as it was great fun and lots to do on a low budget.

mbl1
    Free Member

I spent 3 months travelling thorough Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru and Bolivia. I loved it, but the sheer amount of time spent on buses of varying quality is what most people find hard.
    I didn’t ride but met plenty who were. And what I saw of the trails looked awesome.
    Solo travelling is easy, but doing it with a bike might be hard. I would say that if you are taking a bike you might be more suited to basing yourself in one place. Cusco or La Paz maybe.

lucky7500

I’m definitely being swayed in the direction of sorting some sort of a trip out now 🙂 Leaving the bike at home seems the wise choice!!

johnny

I’ve travelled throughout Mexico and Central America, lived in Peru for a while and have travelled throughout the southern part of South America, some with bike. The best riding I’ve done has been in southern Argenina and Chile/ northern Patagonia. Some superb riding, also in Mendoza, where I am right now- but it’s 35+ degrees in the middle of the day at the mo! Otherwise, Bolivia and southern Peru have some awesome riding. It depends if you want to go for an epic long distance adventure, or epic trails in specifically outstanding areas.

johnny

Also, if you plan to rent bikes, there are generally only hardtails to rent, depending on taste. I have a 1st generation Inbred which I keep here for local riding. Saying that, I wouldn’t want to lug a bike around on the buses.

lucky7500

Cheers Johnny, I’m probably leaning towards epic trails in outstanding areas at the moment, combined with visiting outstanding non bike related places as well. I’ve had a bit of a desire to visit that part of the world for a while and only recently realised that there seems to be plenty of riding to be done as well!!

lucky7500

Forgot to add, what’s the best time of year climate wise to visit Argentina / Chile?

ambientcoast
    Free Member

“One second a prostitute is nibbling on my ear, then boom! The door is kicked in by two men wearing green fatigues and smelling of the jungle and contempt, and I end up but-ass-naked in the trunk of a car, on a one-way trip to the local FARC outpost.”

http://gearward.com/products/a-k-band

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Central / South America advice’ is closed to new replies.