Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Central Heating Advice
  • cb

We have an old style set up with boiler and hot water tank. The pilot light on the boiler is fine but the rads are just not heating up – any clues as to what could be borked?

We got someone coming out but probably not til the weekend – if its easy I’d like to have a go myself.

Cheers

spooky_b329

Check thermostat calling for heat. Check central heating pump is running. check if boiler is actually firing when thermostat calls for heat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve bled rads? Pump making noises?

cb

The rads have been bled so pretty sure that’s not the issue. Pump would be where? Near the tank I assume rather than in the boiler housing? Is it a case of taking it apart or just listening?

totalshell

okay sit down. when you are expecting the rads to heat up is the boiler actually ON.. not just the pilot light? if not wait until man comes. if yes do the pipes from boiler get hot? do the pipes going in to radiator get hot? do the raditors have any heat in them st bottom at top just on one side loads of q’s but need info to diagnose?

globalti
    Free Member

If you don’t even know where the pump is you clearly know naff all about central heating systems.

I would wait until the plumber comes if I were you. Sorry.

cb

Totalshell – will check again – thanks for reply.

globalti – there’s plenty of things I knew naff all about before I asked questions on here. There’s now loads of things I know a little about. I like learning…if that’s all right with you?

elzorillo
    Free Member

If the boiler is kicking in when you turn the thermostat up then my first guess would be the pump (and it could be anywhere).

sharkbait
    Free Member

I like learning…if that’s all right with you?

cb, I think he was saying that a little knowledge can be a very dangerous thing – he just used the wrong words.
    I wouldn’t mess with a gas boiler – ever.
    If the boiler fires up when you turn the thermostat up full (and the timer is set for the Ch to be on) then it’s probably a pump/motorised valve issue.
    If it doesn’t then the timer/thermostat are the first things to look at – but you should leave these to the plumber if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Just in case: if you have a timer like mine with sliding switches, which go auto-clock-on1-on2 etc, check that one of them isn’t slightly out of place, between two positions. It left my CH in limbo until I noticed.

cb

Sharkbait – thanks. Having now found the pump and said valve, I have learnt, just a little but nevertheless I know slightly more than I did! I am happy with that – certainly no intention of being blown into next door’s garden! Now, when the plumber comes I am a bit less likely to get shafted (not that I am expecting to but you know what I mean).

This place always has helpful advice for the uninitiated – in fact I often wonder why a ‘trade’ service isn’t set up. Somewhat irrationally, I’d be more comfortable paying a tradesman off here than ploughing through the Yellow Pages…

slowoldgit – nope but been there!

globalti
    Free Member

The best “trade” service I know of is DIYnot.com. Loads of professionals post on there.

teef
    Free Member

Having now found the pump

Undo the large screw on the front and you’ll be able to see if it’s working. A small amount of water may come out – use a towel to mop up. They’re easy to replace yourself – large spanner and you can get a replacement on ebay for £40. Like you say the best way to learn is do it yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Central Heating Advice’ is closed to new replies.