Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CEN regulations, what are they?
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

Cen regulations, what are they? and what do they entail exactly?

I’m actually looking for a link to the regulations themselves and what bicycles they apply to.

Thanks all.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

It’s the testing of frames and components so that they are deemed ‘fit for purpose’.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dialled Mike, Cotic Si, Brant or anyone else to the thread please.

thepodge
    Free Member

if you can’t work out how to find them I have little hope of you understanding them.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

i love you too podge. Think I’ll take my chances.

I found that site myself, but couldn’t navigate my way through it.
    Their was a link on here to the test procedures somewhere and was just wondering if anyone knew where it was? Site search said no.

They are relatively new EU regulations which mountain bike components (in particular, frames) must comply with in order to be deemed industry standard.

Frames must comply with 5 impact/fatigue tests (horizontal, vertical, falling mass/frame and pedalling) to get a pass/compliant test report.

If you buy a frame from a reputable company (e.g. Dialled Bikes, Cotic, Ragley, etc) you don’t really need to worry about CEN as all of our stuff built around/after the CEN inception date comply with/exceed CEN.

itsallgood

CEN is the organisation that establishes common European standards – those marked as EN (in the main with a few variations).

It’s important not to mix up regulation/directives and standards – the latter being developed with/by industry to prove that a product is at a given level. Standards are not necessarily legally enforceable, although they’re referred to in court as common practice/compelling advice.

It works in the UK though industry professional bodies, with BSI offering the secretariat in the main for the working groups. See:

http://www.cen.eu/cen/Pages/FAQ.aspx

cookeaa

Just as a Follow Up I have recently skim read through a copy of EN 14766:2005 “Mountain-bicycles — Safety requirements and test methods” (and no you can’t see it, copyright infringement, BSi subscriptions and whatnot)

Its 95 odd pages I think, so not a quickie and I didn’t read all the details just the bit’s that I thought might be “Interesting”…

Long story short; it’s basically a series of Static and Dynamic Proof Loading procedures, it actually seems quite comprehensive (to me at least), Loading points and Loads used reflect those you’d expect to see in “Normal” use of a Mountain Bike it has specific caveats for Suspension Frames and Forks…

The “Pass/Fail” criteria tend to be looking at visible damage (Cracks/Deformations etc) and measuring specific reference Dimensions, and assessing whether they have changed by more than a set amount or not…

All seems very black and white and not that onerous really, but then I’m not in “The Industry”…

brant
    Free Member

All seems very black and white and not that onerous really, but then I’m not in “The Industry”…

The loads in the standard made things a bit wierd “apparently” for some steel frames from some manufacturers, who then put the willies up the rest of us. As it turned out, it wasn’t that bad, and made us all think a bit more about frame design, and also moved us forward with new headset standards (that 44mm thing) on steel frames.

All better now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CEN regulations, what are they?’ is closed to new replies.