Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cellulitis and riding
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

That's cellulitis, not cellulite!

I got really sick over last weekend when an insect bite received on Thursday evening turned nasty and the bacteria went systemic. Luckily it's been treatable with oral antibiotics rather than hospital treatment, and has made a massive improvement.

I feel pretty good now and the swelling has gone down. Although there are still some signs of infection, the doctor this morning is confident that finishing the course of antibiotics I am on will be enough.

We're due to be uplifting tomorrow, it's already been paid for and I really don't want to miss out on yet more riding (for one reason or another, it's been around 3 weeks since I have had a proper ride out). So I asked the doctor if it would be ok. Initially she said that, although there was no reason that she could see why I shouldn't start exercising, she would advise that I wait until the end of the course (Monday) before I do. Once I told her I'd only be riding about an hour total in the whole day she warmed to the idea, although said that I need to take it easy as my immune system is likely to be lower than normal as I am on the medication.

I really want to ride, I am crawling the walls here not being able to get out. However, what I really don't want is to end up in hospital on intravenous antibiotics like nearly happened last weekend..but I'm sure if there was a real risk of this she would've told me a definite no.

So I was wondering whether anyone else has been in this situation?

What would you do?

Advice, opinions all welcome. And yes, I know, I need to WTFU 😉

stumpy01

erm…..Just Get Out & Ride……

Sorry…..

Just take it easy. That's what I always do! 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

erm…..Just Get Out & Ride……

Sorry…..

Just take it easy. That's what I always do!

Don't say sorry, it's exactly what I want to hear really. I'll be able to blame you if it goes all wrong then 😛

I guess I know I'm not too good at the 'taking it easy thing' which may be the problem here!

Kit
    Free Member

What are the antibiotics you are taking? And where is the bite (if that's not too personal a question!)?

I've been out riding whilst on antibiotics (though can't remember their name, except they were nasty 🙁 ) as well as riding with an infected and swollen cyst. Didn't think twice about either really, but sounds like you got a bad one!

If the infection is somewhere exposed then I don't see why you couldn't head out with a dressing over the top (you can get good waterproof ones in Lloyds pharmacy).

In my experience of antibiotics though, they can often leave you feeling like you're, er, going to get caught short, which is not a nice feeling…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Hello bunny! Glad to hear your leg is getting better.

Get out and ride on it, just take it a bit easier than you would ordinarily. YOu know you want to!

Oh, and MlehTFU! 😉

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

*decides that jojoA1's radcoreburd advice must be right*

Yeah, I'm gonna ride, I'll just stop if I feel dodgy in anyway. I'm not too worried about the actual bite (I can easily cover it), it's more the worry about spreading the bacteria through my bloodstream again. The antibiotics are obviously doing their job though, so I am mostly gonna MlehTFU 8)

jojoA1
    Free Member

YOu knows it! Have fun.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

ditto what jojo says, just go and have fun, and take it easy. look forward to hearing about it/photos on fb 🙂

enjoy.

zaskar
    Free Member

Increase protein in your diet and get plenty of sleep.

Take protein within half an hour of your ride too-keeps your immune system up.

Get some sis rego recovery from Tesco etc.

Take it easy too.

Report back too.

amatuer

My wife had cellulitis a few years ago, so i can sympathise with your pain. If the drugs don't make you feel drowsy, then go ride. If they do make you feel drowsy, then go ride more slowly 😉

jamie01
    Free Member

I fell off my bike and cut my arm on the last day of riding in alps. by the time i got home my arm was twice the size from the infection. the doctor put me on a course of antibiotics and said that as long as i felt ok she couldnt see a problem wit me going out for a ride as long as i didnt fall off again 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cellulitis and riding’ is closed to new replies.