Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ceiriog Valley and the Vale of Llangollen?
  • proutster
    Free Member

I fancy a change from the Peaks this weekend, so thinking of doing this route from the Edge Cycleworks:

clicky

Anyone done it?

Opinions or better routes (GPX please as I’m not local) welcome 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd – anyone?

moonboy
    Free Member

I have no idea if that route is good but i have ridden there (once!).

Got shown around by a pal who lives locally, was a good ride out. We didn’t see a single other rider and stravas were out of a total of 30/40 riders on most sections, suggests it doesn’t get ridden all that often.

As a something different ride, it was great!

Can send you my gpx but as above have no idea how it compares to the route you have found (and if it is the local gold or not)

finephilly
    Free Member

Think I did it last Boxing Day (slightly shorter route – only rode up to mile 11). It’s ok, mainly rough B roads I think and farm tracks. Can be quite exposed on the tops around mile 5ish. Doubtful if you see any other riders.

schnor
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a pretty good route, last did it ~12 months ago though. Feels a fair bit more than 21 miles TBH, although the road sections drag the time out slightly. I’m not sure of any better .gpx routes (sure there probably are though, like the route above ^^).

When you’re done try the pasties in Baileys Deli in Llangollen (main street opposite barclays bank) 🙂

[edit]

Yes, no singletrack / bridleways, mostly tracks / lanes / etc

mrhoppy

There’s much better locally.

I did a 60km ride on Saturday from pontcysyllte aqueduct along the canal to horseshoe falls, road onto world’s end, sleepers into Degla. Take your pick on degla route, from the centre climb up to the masts then singletrack back to world’s end, cross the road and traverse round to the offas dyke path (a bit cheeky). On the road, traverse round until a fp goes left steeply up to the climbers track under the cliffs to the road, along to a cheeky route through the woods down to the canal and back across the aqueduct.

carlos
    Free Member

Not done that particular route, but have done The Beast of Llangollen a few times. Ok, there is a chunk or road in it but tbh I think it’s great. For me the rewards of the 5 or 6 descents outweigh the tough climbs. Bit of a sting in the tale for the last road climb from the church which will make your legs whimper.

Keep an eye and ear out for 4×4’s and Moto Crossers/trail Bikes coming up on the fast descents

As above get into Baileys for a brew, food and a few local beers for later.

There has to be more and better locally but it seems no one wants to share 😥

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks all!

@carlos – saw the Beast of Llangollen route on the Edge website as well, so might try that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ceiriog Valley and the Vale of Llangollen?’ is closed to new replies.