Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • CD's – best way to get rid of them???
  • ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve kept all my CDs, some are rare (less than 50/100 copies type stuff, limited edition covers, signed by the artist etc) so they are worth something. And worth keeping.

Anything that isn’t rare simply isn’t worth the effort of selling and traipsing to the post office for. So i’ve kept them too.

I’m not short of space to store them, so it’s something of a non-issue.

sadexpunk

Sadexpunk: can i take “Placebo – Placebo – without you im nothing”?

is that placebo-placebo PLUS without you im nothing, or just the latter? and yes, you want to email me your details?

johndoh
    Free Member

Keep them!

People are rabidly buying up original vinyl now, who ever predicted that?
    Is what I was thinking – a decent vinyl album (ie, good condition sleeve etc) is now worth £10/£15 a go even for run of the mill stuff. I am glad I kept all mine.

Cougar

I know of people prosecuted for having mp3 files on laptops but not having the cds

Who?

HansRey

sadexpunk – ygm

traildog
    Free Member

This is clearly illegal. I cannot believe this is being discussed on here in such an open way and that this forum is acting as a market place for this activity.

Keep the CDs if you want the music, or delete the files if you want to move the on.

ourmaninthenorth

This is clearly illegal. I cannot believe this is being discussed on here in such an open way and that this forum is acting as a market place for this activity.

Only some of what people are doing above is unlawful. Selling and buying CDs is fine, so that’s hardly an issue.

The only question is the retention of ripped files once the CDs are sold. That’s for the sellers to concern themselves with, and not the issue of the buyers or the forum owners (since the transactions happening via the forum are lawful).

traildog
    Free Member

The only question is the retention of ripped files once the CDs are sold. That’s for the sellers to concern themselves with, and not the issue of the buyers or the forum owners (since the transactions happening via the forum are lawful).

Yes, which is why I said if you want to sell them on then you should delete the rip of them.

He clearly stated he was selling the CDs because he had ripped the files and this is illegal. The retention of the files and the fact that he’s selling the cds because he has a copy.

Rich_s

Keep seeing this word

illegal

Source?

aracer
    Free Member

Ripping is fine IMHO – as you point out you’ve already paid for the IP. Selling CDs on is also fine (and unlike ripping is legal). However ripping and then selling on the CD isn’t fine, because you are then depriving the artist of royalties. As I pointed out before, one of the significant reasons why the law isn’t relaxed to allow ripping of CDs that you own is the prevalence of people then selling on the CDs.

aracer
    Free Member

Well that was hard:
    http://bfy.tw/ApT9

Rich_s

Maybe this will help you understand the question better:
    Illegal

Anyway, I will be deleting copies of any material I am holding incorrectly.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Someone to throw them and:

Vortexracing

Some of the collection

Please don’t judge 😯

Amelia Jane Collection
    Andrea Bocelli – Amore
    Andrea Bocelli – Concerto: One Night In
    Andrea Bocelli – Opera
    Barbra Streisand – Back to Broadway
    Barbra Streisand – The Essential Barbra St
    Barry Gibb – Guilty Too
    Bee Gees – Still Waters
    Best Friends
    Black Eyed Peas – Monkey Business
    Blue – All Rise
    Blue – One Love
    Bon Jovi – Keep the Faith
    Bruce Hornsby – Harbor Lights
    Bryan Adams – Anthology
    Bryan Adams – Waking Up The Neighbours
    C & C Music Factory – Gonna Make You Sweat
    Carrack, Paul – Blue Views
    Cher – Love Hurts
    Chicago – The Ultimate Collection
    Clannad – Anam (1990)
    Clannad – Legend
    Clannad – Sirius
    Crowded House – Recurring Dream: the Ver
    Darren Hayes – Spin
    David “Fathead” Newman – Anastasia
    Del Amitri – The Best Of Del Amitri: Hat
    Donny Osmond – From Donny…With Love
    Donny Osmond – Somewhere In Time
    Duran Duran – Duran Duran (The Wedding)
    Elton John – Love Songs
    Elvis Presley – Christmas Hits: 50 Festive songs
    Evanescence – The Open Door
    Fatboy Slim – Youve Come A Long Way, Baby
    Gary Moore – Ballads & Blues 1982-1994
    George Michael – Older
    George Michael – Twenty Five
    Hannah Montana – Hannah Montana Original
    Heart – Brigade
    Houghton, Steven – Steven Houghton
    Il Divo – Ancora
    Il Divo – Siempre
    Il Divo – Wicked Game
    Inxs – Greatest Hits
    James and the Giant Peach
    James Brown – Sex Machine – The Very Bes
    Janet Jackson – Design Of A Decade 1986/
    Jedward – Planet Jedward
    Jedward – Victory
    Jimmy Nail – Big River
    Jimmy Nail – Growing Up in Public
    Joe Mcelderry – Classic
    John Lee Hooker – Healer
    Josh Groban – Awake
    Jovi, Bon – These Days
    Justin Timberlake – Future Sex / Love So
    Kennedy, Brian – A Better Man
    Manilow, Barry – Ultimate Live
    Marx, Richard – Repeat Offender
    Mary Archer – Christmas Carol – Mary Arc
    Maverick Sabre – Lonely are the Brave
    Michael Bolton – Soul Provider
    Michael Buble – Christmas [Special Editi
    Michael Buble – Crazy Love
    Michael Jackson – Dangerous
    Mika – Life in Cartoon Motion
    Mike & The Mechanics – Word Of Mouth
    Mike & The Mechanics – Word Of Mouth
    Oasis – (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?
    Oasis – Be Here Now
    Oasis – Stop the Clocks
    Oleta Adams – Circle Of One
    P!nk – Funhouse
    P!nk – P!nk Box
    Paul Carrack – A Different Hat
    Poison – Open Up and Say… Ahh!
    Prince & the New Power Generation – Diam
    Richard Marx – Rush Street
    Robbie Williams – Life Thru A Lens (UK Re
    Roxette – Tourism
    Roxettet – Look Sharp!
    Russell Watson – The Ultimate Collection
    Ryan Dan – RyanDan
    S Club Juniors – Together
    Savage Garden – Affirmation
    Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters
    Silver Sword
    Simply Red – Life
    Snap – The Madmans Return (3rd Edition)
    Stereophonics – Performance And Cocktails
    Take That – Beautiful World
    Take That – Everything Changes
    Take That – Nobody Else
    Take That – Take That and Party
    Technotronic – Body to body (1991)
    The Corrs – Talk On Corners
    The Goo Goo Dolls – Dizzy Up The Girl
    The Verve – Urban Hymns
    Thunder – Laughing On Judgement Day
    Tom Jones – 24 Hours
    Tom Jones – Duets
    Tom Jones – Kiss
    Tom Jones – Mr Jones
    Tom Jones – Reload – Tom Jones – Duets
    Travis – The Man Who
    Various – 100% Acid Jazz
    Various – Best Rave Anthems Ever
    Various – Chilled R&B – Smooth Classics
    Various – Now Dance 97
    Various – Sisters of Swing
    Various – The Best Of James Bond: 30th Anniversary
    Various – The Very Best Of Disney
    Various Artists – Floorfillers Classics
    Various Artists – Now Thats What I Call music
    Various Artists – Now Thats What I Call Music
    Various Artists – Pop Party 3
    Various Artists – Sisters of Swing Vol.2
    Various Artists – Tapestry Revisited
    Various Artists – The Twilight Saga: New Moon
    Various – Ultimate Disney Princess

gauss1777
    Free Member

Please don’t judge

Wow, that is some collection. Surely the Jedward will be collectors items one day?!

funkmasterp

However ripping and then selling on the CD isn’t fine, because you are then depriving the artist of royalties.

This is a murky one in my opinion. What if you’re giving it away or selling it for peanuts to somebody who wouldn’t buy it normally. You’ve deprived nobody as there wouldn’t have been a sale.

I sold all my CD’s and have them all ripped. I’ve also received free digital download with vinyl. Now I’ve sold or given away the vinyl do you seriously think I’m going to delete the digital version? Same thing with digital versions of movies that come with blu-ray.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member 
    Maybe this will help you understand the question better:
    Illegal

In UK law there’s no distinction between making private copies and piracy and it’s considered a potential criminal offence. Not to mention it is an infringement of copyright under copyright law.

Breach of the law.

The act of doing it may be considered criminal, or overlooked but then left down to the copyright holder to defend their IP in a civil case.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2015/2041.html

“The Court hereby declares that the making of private copies of musical and other copyright works without consent, in the circumstances purportedly authorised by the Regulations, constitutes and has continued since 1 October 2014 to constitute an infringement of copyright”.

And goes on to reference the word illegal. Argue that if you like with the lawyers and justices referenced in that case.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/intellectual_property_crime/#a02

All said, it’s been long known that there’s virtually no prosecution, if any at all to making private copies. Making copies and selling on the original is another matter though again prosecutions are probably nil except those who’ve bought CDs, ripped them and then go share or sell the MP3s.

Vortexracing

Surely the Jedward will be collectors items one day?!

the daughter, I did say please don’t judge.

and are we all really getting uptight at the fact that most of these on music magpie are worth all of 20p!!!!

sadexpunk

looking at that list i do not see myself and vortexracing in competition with each other for sales…..

firestarter
    Free Member

Awful list just awful 😉

HansRey

I’ll take the oasis and verve albums if you’re willing to post em. Mail in profile 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

No, I don’t expect you are 🙄

deadkenny
    Free Member

How about this for morals? – You buy a CD on Amazon that you’re going to give as a gift, don’t tick the gift box and they send you the free digital download version also, which you keep a copy of 😀

funkmasterp

Then, deadkenny, you will burn in hell for eternity with me. At least you’ll have somebody to talk bikes with 🙂

Right, I’m off to search through my hard drives to try and remember which albums I bought as digital from Bandcamp and other sources and which I need to delete in order to appease the Gods. Can I keep copies of the ones I gave to charity?

CountZero

All said, it’s been long known that there’s virtually no prosecution, if any at all to making private copies. Making copies and selling on the original is another matter though again prosecutions are probably nil except those who’ve bought CDs, ripped them and then go share or sell the MP3s

Exactly. Yes, the law exists, but is essentially unenforceable, the only time anyone is likely to get busted is if they’re file-sharing illegally over torrent sites.

his is clearly illegal. I cannot believe this is being discussed on here in such an open way and that this forum is acting as a market place for this activity.

Keep the CDs if you want the music, or delete the files if you want to move the on.
    Yes, which is why I said if you want to sell them on then you should delete the rip of them.

He clearly stated he was selling the CDs because he had ripped the files and this is illegal. The retention of the files and the fact that he’s selling the cds because he has a copy.
    Since when has it been your business what people do with their CD’s, ripped files, etc?
    It’s nothing to do with you, and you come across as a finger-wagging busybody, lecturing people on what, in essence, nobody really cares about, despite there being laws against it on the statute books. 🙄
    I’ve got 200Gb of music on my computer, and hundreds of CD’s, and there are a lot that don’t match up, if I got rid of all of my CD’s, I’d still keep the files, because there are many I’ve downloaded as well as ripped ones.
    And it’s not for you to lecture me on the rights and wrongs, so, with respect, butt out!

funkmasterp

I’ve got 200Gb of music on my computer, and hundreds of CD’s, and there are a lot that don’t match up, if I got rid of all of my CD’s, I’d still keep the files, because there are many I’ve downloaded as well as ripped ones.
    And it’s not for you to lecture me on the rights and wrongs, so, with respect, butt out!

Ooh! That’s three of us doomed now. Look at us with our loose morals and blatant disregard for the law. It’s like the wild west in here 😀

Edit – and the OP too

aracer
    Free Member

I presume it’s also none of anybody else’s business if you go out shoplifting or nicking other people’s bikes?

rmacattack
    Free Member

who gives a damn if he rips it then sells the cd on? i couldn’t give a rats ass what happens. as for artists losing their royalties , yes if there only up and coming but i don’t think ed sheeran or taylor swift are going to miss a few mill here or there. they already have more than enough than they need in one lifetime.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Room for another one down below?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘CD's – best way to get rid of them???’ is closed to new replies.