• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • CCTV – Security wont release info due to Data Protection ?!?!
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A colleague had there car damaged whilst parked in the car park at work last week. The car park is a shared car park with allocated bays for different companies that work within the building. Therefore it had to be a colleague in our company that banged her car.

Security (who work for the landlord) have checked the tapes but say they wont release the vehicle registration of the car that did it because of data protection!

Is this right or are they talking trollocks?

hora
    Free Member

Absolutely crap. Data protection relates to releasing personal details. All numberplates in the carpark are there on display to see. All the carpark would be doing is confirming who struck your car. What are they hiding?

Question- any paint left on the car at all? If not, why not walk around the cars now parked furthest away and look for damage on the corners/scuffs etc.

flatfish
    Free Member

surely they should quote the “freedom of information act” to security.

steveh

Report the accident to the police and get them to ask for it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Utter balderdash.

s
    Free Member

If not, why not walk around the cars now parked furthest away and look for damage on the corners/scuffs etc.

Starting with all the security vans first 😉

LMT
    Free Member

As above, contact the police they can come down and just take it as part of an ongoing investigation. We had one the other week a customer complained that someone had hit his car. We aren’t allowed to let the customer see our footage, but our security or managers can review which we did, told him to report it and get the police to investigate as its a hit and run. 2 hrs later a local copper turned up, took a copy of the footage and job done!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

LMT – Can it be a hit and run though with it being on private land?

I thought Police could only get involved if it is on a Public Highway?

D0NK

pretty sure you can ask for CCTV you appear in if you quote time and place – useful if you are attacked or in a prang or something, dunno if you can ask for stuff you don’t star in.

Usual disclaimer – I could be talking utter piffle.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I thought Police could only get involved if it is on a Public Highway?

How does that work? Can I smash someones windscreen if they park it on their drive, but not if they park it on the road?

How about shooting someone? 😉

milkherd
    Free Member

DONK – Yes i saw that programme with don’t get done get dickanddom and he said companies are obliged to provide CCTV you star in.

pjt201
    Free Member

flatfish – Member
    surely they should quote the “freedom of information act” to security.

FOI only applies to access to data held by the state.

vitalspark
    Free Member

Report to police – they submit a section 29 form to the organisation and the cctv will be released to police.

woody2000

Sounds like they did it – tapes will be erased by the time plod gets involved you can bet 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Then be quite forward ‘its because you caused it then isn’t it’?

If they didn’t Im sure they’ll be more than willing to put you right (and laugh in your face).

That way you’ll know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no reason under data protection – why would we ave so much CCTV idf no one could access it becaus eodf the Data protection law. The number plate belongs to the car it tells you no personal or private information about the owner etc. Place a written request ASAP with immediate written repsonse for refusal from them – I would suspect them or the person who did it is a mate or has bribed them etc.

Drac

I was led to believe it’s footage of yourself you can request in writing to the company. The police can you request more or maybe another legal body. Walking up to the security office with childish comments isn’t going to help.

wwaswas

As above – put a request in writing that they release the details to you or, at least, retain them pending further discussion.

If they say ‘Data Protection’ ask them to provide details of the relevant statutes that they are using to withold the information.

If you can get senior mangement within the company involved too it might help expedite matters.

irc

If this is a private car park then neither careless driving or reporting a road accident apply so it is not a police matter.

If the car park is public then careless driving laws apply and any accident needs to be reported (or details exchanged/owner informed etc)

As per RTA 1988 section 3 and section 170, both as amended by RTA 1991.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

irc – its may not be an rta but there is still potentially a crime is there not? Property has been damaged.

wwaswas

as per TJ – if someone had smashed the car with a hammer it would be looked at by the police – isn’t a car just a bigger hammer?

hora
    Free Member

Walking up to the security office with childish comments isn’t going to help.

They are uneducated idiots. Talk their language.

D0NK

Hora, are you worried your newfound paternal maturity is affecting your online persona so want to up your sweeping (insulting) generalisations quota?

Drac

They are uneducated idiots. Talk their language.

Well the seem to be educated enough not just to let anyone see the CCTV footage without the right consent.

Good luck making an insurance claim in a private car park.

Bombers or wee in shoes may be the only course of recompense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are uneducated idiots. Talk their language

you could wroite his script…. perhaps you are a little over qualified in the idiot department

theotherjonv

I thought Data protection was along the lines of ‘the data can only be used for the purposes it is being collected for’. in this case I presume car park security, so you might be on dodgy ground if you asked to review tapes for the purposes of checking someone’s hours, but to see who drove into your car.

Tell them to get real, or you’ll ask the Police to get involved for failing to report a RTA. Might not be strictly correct if it’s on private land but fight idiocy with more idiocy is always my motto.

hora
    Free Member

you could wroite his script

Well I most certainly wont be choosing you to proof-read it 🙄

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘CCTV – Security wont release info due to Data Protection ?!?!’ is closed to new replies.