Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CCTV freedom of info request for car damage??
  • mudmuncher

Some twunt did £1800 worth of damage to my car while it was left in an airport car park for 5 days the other week.

I was parked near a cctv and have asked them to check the footage, but am basically getting fobbed off as I don’t think they can be bothered to sit through the footage.

I think it was probably the car that was in the space next to me when I parked and must have swung into me as they reversed.

Can I request the footage under the freedom of information act?

matt_outandabout

FOI only applies to public bodies iirc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    tjagain

You can do it under date protection I think – I believe have a right to see CCTV in circumstances such as this but you need to move quickly as it will be wiped at some point. Make a report to the police for criminal damage?

mudmuncher

The police didn’t seem interested. I thought it was an offence not to leave your details or contact the police within 24hrs after an accident. They told me this only applied on the road and not on private land. So using their logic private land is a lawless zone where you can do as you please, robbing, killing and damaging property with impunity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They told me this only applied on the road and not on private land. So using their logic private land is a lawless zone where you can do as you please, robbing, killing and damaging property with impunity.

Really? Time to calm down a little, what they told you was true – this was not an accident that the details rule applies to, in fact we don’t actually know what happened only the result.
    Next step the links above are a starting point for CCTV, the other option is to go via your insurer who may be able to make the request but it needs doing properly.

Scapegoat

Well, no. The duty to furnish details following a road traffic collision is covered by the Road Traffic Act, and is relevant to traffic, being traffic on a road.

Private land, (unless it is held to be a road,, such as the road through a car park to which the public has access,) is covered by aspects of criminal and civil law, so robberies, murders and criminal damage are still illegal, even in airport carparks. .

rene59
    Free Member

I was parked near a cctv and have asked them to check the footage, but am basically getting fobbed off as I don’t think they can be bothered to sit through the footage.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up, in my experience the footage will likely be terrible quality and be worthless in terms of evidence.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Your best bet may be to leave to your insurance company to sort out; they will probably have done it before, and if they can’t sort it, they still have to settle your claim.

timba
    Free Member

It may be a public place for the purposes of an accident (that’s for the prosecution, i.e. CPS, to prove)
    Go back to the police and report this as it is an obligation. Don’t be fobbed off that you now too late either…
    Summary linky
    Get a reference number and notify the CCTV operator that they may hold evidence to either a crime (criminal damage) or other offence
    Supply the info to your insurer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CCTV freedom of info request for car damage??’ is closed to new replies.