Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • CCDB – worth an extra £200 on a frame?
  • kevin1911

I’m finding myself very tempted by those Titus El Guapo’s on offer at On One.

Can’t decide if the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air is worth the extra £200 over the RS Monarch. Anyone got any experience of CCDB Air’s?

Wondering if a PUSH tune on the Monarch (plus spare cash) would be a better bet…?

These are the pro’s and con’s of the CCDB as far as I can see:

Pro’s:
    – CCDB is allegedly a very very good shock
    – More tuning options means better ride
    – Probably helps resale value

Con’s
    – CCDB is ~200g heavier
    – CCDB allegedly needs serviced every 100 hours, and needs to be sent off
    – More tuning options means more time faffing around and probably not quite ever having things quite right.

The riding I do is mainly trail centre type stuff, with occasional trips to the rocky/rooty bits of the lower highlands.

Offroading
    Free Member

“- CCDB allegedly needs serviced every 100 hours, and needs to be sent off”

Every 100 hours isn’t a downside, that’s a good amount of riding. My rockshox stuff is every 100 hours too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think if you’re debating the question then the answer is most likely no, it’s not going to be worth it.

An alternative would be the BOS Vipr which is lighter than the CCDB and offers as much control without the complexity of the High/Low rebound and compression dials.

jockthestore
    Free Member

In answer to the question – yes.

kevin1911

I guess the main difference is that more of the Rockshox stuff can be done at home

kevin1911

think if you’re debating the question then the answer is most likely no, it’s not going to be worth it.

That’s probably a good point.

Are the BOS shocks available in the UK, or only direct from BOS?

Stevelol
    Free Member

It’s worth it if you don’t give a crap about weight and want the absolute best performance possible.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are the BOS shocks available in the UK, or only direct from BOS?

From Roger Estrada at R53 Engineering in the UK. I’m really impressed with mine; it’s not quite as good as the coil CCDB it replaced but it’s not far off and is a ton lighter.

Trimix
    Free Member

Thats pretty hard to answer for two basic reasons:

1. it depends how you ride, some people wont notice the difference.
    2. it depends how much £200 is to you.

I have a CCDB (not the air one) and I notice it, but I notice stuff like an extra 10psi in my forks and different tyres.

Plus I got my CCDB with Ti shock as a bonus from work, so didnt have to worry about the cost.

Also, you may find the £200 better spent somewhere else, training, wheels, a holiday ?

Personally I felt limited by my Fox 23 and getting a CCDB a big improvement to feel, riding, control etc.

CHB

Just to tip you over the edge into purchase land…..on one have an extra 10% off this weekend! Thats off everything. use code: UKBANKERS10

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, buy the CCDB one on discount and sell it for a custom-tuned FOx Float if you really don’t like it.

kevin1911

Yep, that sounds like a plan to me! Thanks all.

Rio

I’ve just been through the same thought process, I went for the Monarch for various reasons. The servicing thing is a big deal for me – with the CCDB I’d be sending it off for a service at £100 a time every couple of months or so, which also means not being able to ride the bike for a week while it’s gone. My Rockshox forks by comparison just need half an hour or so fettling by myself every 100 hours and I’m hoping the Monarch will be the same. Weight is an issue for me even though 200g isn’t that much. And I realised that for me the CCDB would be mainly about bragging rights rather than actual performance – that may not be the same for you depending on what sort of riding you do.

on one have an extra 10% off this weekend

grrrr – haven’t even ridden my frame yet and I could have had it 10% cheaper. 👿

chillidave
    Free Member

I’m debating the same question myself, leaning towards the Monarch. I doubt I’ll ever get the best out of the CCDB. If you haven’t seen it this is what Brant said on another thread:

“Rt3 are good shock, but if you want to smash through stuff then CCDB is better. For just riding around, a Monarch is fine.”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘CCDB – worth an extra £200 on a frame?’ is closed to new replies.