Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • CCDB Spring Installation
  • mrh86

I have a 8.5” x 2.5” ccdb. Initially I had a 400lbx2.5” spring on the ccdb (supplied with the shock), but this was too low a spring rate, so tried a 450lbs. This spring went on fine.

However, still couldn’t get the sag set up properly with this, so purchased a 500lbs x2.5” spring. Just tried to put this spring on now, and it seems too long for the shock. Cannot get the spring clip/retainer on. It is definitely a 500×2.5” as it is marked “cane creek. 500×2.50).

The preload screw is fully wound out.

The 500lb spring is a tiny bit longer than the other 2.

Is this supposed to be like this?

Do you reckon it is ok try and get the retainer clip on by slightly compressing the spring. Worried that if I do this I won’t be able to get it off again in the future.

Anyone else had this problem.

messiah
    Free Member

Normal, but it does make changing the spring a bit of a pain.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I had the same thing, although one shock service centre told me that while it was normal, it wasn’t good. You’re building in pre-load just by putting the spring on. To get it on and off, you need to compress the spring in a vice, then slip the damper shaft through while the spring is still in the vice. As Messiah says, it’s a pain.

mrh86

Cheers for the replies guys.

Geetee: can’t quite figure out in my head how you would do that. if you stick it in a vice how do you get the spring on the shock and the damper rod through the coil?

geetee1972
    Free Member

You only put the outer edge of the spring in the jaws and then carefully wind the jaws up.

mrh86

OK. Cheers. Got an email from cane creek and they said it was normal. Suggested using a couple of heavy duty cable ties to wind the spring in a little.

Cheers for the replies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘CCDB Spring Installation’ is closed to new replies.