• This topic has 29 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pudd.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • CBT Done, What Bike?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Had a great day today – found the CBT very useful even with 6 years driving experience.. I’ll never look at bikes the same way – recommended for anyone who hasn’t been on a bike even they aren’t planning on doing a full license as it can only improve your driving and awareness all round.

Query time tho for the bikers… What bike should I buy – I need a 125 CBT friendly bike that’s cheap as chips as I only plan to use it a few weeks a year whilst in the UK – thinking around £500.

Thanks

banks
    Free Member

Honda CG125!

bwaarp
    Free Member

A Honda, of some sorts. I can’t emphasize that enough.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out for them – I figured not to buy any random unknown brand. So thought honda, suzuki or yamaha? What are the old 1985ish bikes like with drums up front also – I assume thats what you meant for my budget?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

My 1989 cg had a drum on the front (before it was nicked) and it was perfectly up to the job considering what sort of speeds you can achieve on a bike like that. I’m currently looking for a replacement and have the same sort of budget as you (hopefully less, my cg only cost £150), although I may just do my full test and then get something I actually want

skink2020

Get a road legal crosser.
    Excellent learning machines. Very forgiving when dropped.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Cg125 possibly the best bike ever.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I cut my teeth on a Yamaha DT125. Hilarious fun, and good for ripping about off road too. I doubled the mileage on it and sold it for what I bought it for, so they obviously hold their value pretty well.

jonnycritchley
    Free Member

I did a two hour taster this week at a place called Streetbike in Birmingham. Booked my CBT and I’m hoping to get a little 125 too. So much to think about on a bike though! Certainly opened my eyes to the differing levels of awareness required.

Bred2shred
    Free Member

I’ll echo what everyone else is saying.

Get an old honda, you may need to fettle with it at your budget but spares are plentiful unless you get some bizarre import. And dont be tempted by a chrome covered cruser model, because you will drop it and they are much harder to shift on once you have you full licence.

Hope ths helps and if you’re looking for more advise i recommend bikechat forums as a good place to start.

Dancake
    Free Member

I liked my GS 125. It was reliable for me and , being a banger, I sold it for as much as I bought it for.

edit cgs are cool 😯

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNoJPouZSc[/video]

alexxx
    Free Member

No time to do my DA this year so ill wait – cg looks perfect ill try and find a cheap one. I’d love a dt but not spending 1.5k on a 125

chojin
    Free Member

+1 for dirt bike. My first proper bike was a Kawasaki KMX 200 125, was an absolute hoot to ride and taught me a lot about handling.

Bred2shred
    Free Member

Alexx, you know next year it all changes for getting you licence?

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m over 25 so don’t think it affects me for direct access?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

No, it won’t. The DAS age is being raised to 24.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Another one for the mighty CG here. I always fancied an Aprilia RS125 too though. Boom!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Get a Vespa…… Everyone looks cool on a Vespa

BobaFatt
    Free Member

+1 for the CG125

Don’t be fooled by the chinese copies, seem good value and look the same but basically tat on wheels

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys – still struggling to see a CG125 for around £500 after trawling as many places I could find / think of

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I found my £150 CG by sending a cheeky offer before an auction finished on eBay, I’m probably going todo the same once something suitable comes up again. I’d suggest looking on local ad sites (gumtree etc) and papers rather than autotrader but also try to make it known to the local biker community that you are after something, there will be someone who knows someone who was fairly sure that Bob might be selling his old one (or something along those lines). I’ve seen several round here for £400-600 but at the moment that’s a bit rich for me

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks Matt, emailed them a cheeky offer re your advice already 😀

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I did it on an auction that was only at 20 or 30 quid and it was listed as a non runner but I thought it was worth a punt. Ended up spending about £40 on parts to sort it but that’s still sub £200. I’d make them an offer of £300 or 350 and see what they say but I’m cheeky like that

Dancake
    Free Member

Everyone looks cool on a Vespa

Just yesterday, I saw a couple in their Sixties pull up to the lights in one. As they pulled off again, the back wheel collapsed 😯

no one was hurt but thank god it didnt happen at speed

xcstu
    Free Member

It sounds like your after a bike over scooter but can highly recommend the honda pcx 125 new!! honda offer 0% finance so cheap as chips 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestion but I don’t want to spend £2500 on a 125 as I’ll likely only have it for a year at most.

Any thoughts on Suzuki GN 125s?

pudd
    Free Member

Honda CR125 converted to road legal with super moto tyres.

Nothing beats two stroke performance.

alexxx
    Free Member

also not cbt legal, nowhere near £500 and 1 on autotrader..

pudd
    Free Member

Oops.
    Then agree with everyone else CG125.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘CBT Done, What Bike?’ is closed to new replies.