Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • cavity wall insulation – how much should it cost me to do about 18m of wall
  • banginon

Extension on the back o the house with the kitchen and bathroom and utility room/back hall.

I’m getting condensation/mould on the external walls in the bathroom so was wondering if cavity wall insulation would solve this or should I bang up some celotex or kingspan and a water resistant board before tiling.

I’m about to replace the bathroom suite so now’s the time to do it.

Cheers

kimbers
    banginon

as it’s the extension not the main part of the house it doesn’t fullfil the criteria; I phoned to check.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Would be interested to know this too. I could get the extension on mine done, but as it doesn’t cover more than 2/3rd of the total wall area of the house it doesn’t qualify for the grant.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Can’t remember exactly but I think I’m getting just over 5msq in a pack of 100mm cav insulation for £17, you’ll do well to get it that cheap but have a shop round. The problem in your bathroom will be solved with better ventilation by the sounds of it. Good extract etc. Putting in more insulation will warm things up yes but wont help with damp. Hth.

banginon

Aye, I’ll put one o those in too;

Don’t think I can retro fit from the packs tho’ that’s for a new build.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry mis read, thought you were building that! So were you thinking of lining the external Walls internally with insulation?? If so you could just go down the route of insulated plaster board but this will obviously reduce the room sizes. First question do you have a cavity? Second if so why not just have insulation blown in, thirdly how old is the build and does it have no insulation currently?

banginon

It’s cavity insulation that i’m asking about – how much – roughly – for 18m of blown in insulation..

its a flat roof with (useless) insulation on top of the rafters and a great draft underneath it taking away any heat we have.

The main house is thick old stone and I’ve dry lined the external walls with 50mm of celotex and it’s made a huge difference..

I was going to put 50mm insulation on the ceiling anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘cavity wall insulation – how much should it cost me to do about 18m of wall’ is closed to new replies.